Author Topic: Burial - Pembury/Tunbridge Wells  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Flosse

• RootsChat Member
  • The world is your oyster. . . .
    • View Profile
Burial - Pembury/Tunbridge Wells
« on: Sunday 13 November 11 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help - I am looking for a burial for a George Robert Barker who died at Pembury Hospital on 27th May 1954 aged 82 years (born 1872, Burton on Trent, lived in Lowestoft for much of his life). 
I think we have the right chap/death certificate but can find no other details to verify with and no trace of a burial so far.

His death is registered by a Robert Grant ('son-in' law) but we can find no link for this person hence the slight doubt that it may be him.  Our thinking is that if we can find George R Barkers final resting place we may be able to identify him for certain by seeing where and with whom he is buried.

Any help with pointing us in the right direction will be much appreciated as we have hit a brick wall.

Thanks in advance for your time
Flosse.
Davis, Wild, Smart, Richardson, Chambers, Taylor, Biggerstaff, Gibney

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Burial - Pembury/Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 11 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The site called Deceased on line has Tonbridge Wells records. I think you need to subscribe to it but you may be able to look at an index.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Flosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 11 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply - I had a quick search on here but sadly, he does not appear.

He seems to be very elusive in the latter part of his life!

Flosse

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 11 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Is there not an address for George Robert BARKER and/or Robert GRANT on the certificate?

'son-in' law
Have you put the punctuation around the 'son-in' bit or is that how it was written by the registrar?

At least one of my great grandparents died in Pembury hospital and they were buried at Tonbridge although they did live in Tonbridge.  Unfortunately, Tonbridge council was charging a huge amount for a search of their records the last I heard.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 11 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

Thanks for your message - who doesn't charge a great deal for a records search these days?!!  ::)

Sorry, the 'Son in' should have included the 'law' part too!  Just put it in quotation as it is directly transcribed from the certificate.  I have come across situations where son-in-law is also taken to mean step son (always very confusing!) but have to admit that this is usually in earlier census records.

The address given is Forge Farm Crossing, Groombridge, Sussex for both men although he died at Pembury hospital.

As I mentioned previously, the last trace we can find is of him being an absent (military) voter in Lowestoft, Suffolk in 1926 then he disappears.  We can find no other records for him, other than this death certificate (and we are not entirely sure it IS him but can find no other deaths for his name with the correct age and occupation etc.)  I cannot find out who Robert Grant was either.

I wanted to find out if there was a burial for him in Tonbridge (according to the Suffolk records office he is not buried with his wife or other family in Kirkley cemetery, Suffolk or anywhere around this area - about to tackle Sussex records office) so we can at least locate him and work backwards from there - other than this, we have no idea what else we could try to find his burial/cremation place.  I have posted a general Barker family query on the relevant county board.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
Thanks again for your time
Flosse