Author Topic: Cyfyng Council School Penmachno  (Read 2556 times)

Offline AuntyGene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cyfyng Council School Penmachno
« on: Sunday 13 November 11 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not sure what area Penmachno comes under but here goes:

I am trying to find out more on a cottage/chapel that my brother in law owns. It was known as Cyfyng Council School and opened in 1900, closed in 1958.  The school was actually held in a chapel, it served as a school during the week and on Sundays, used as a church.  The school is situated just up the road from the famous Ty Mawr (where Bishop Morgan lived who translated the bible from English into Welsh).  I would like to find out more on the school and the cottage right next to it called Cyfyng.The cottage was built around 1720 as two shepherd's cottages but at a later date, they were knocked into one. It was only in the last 5 years that electric or running water has been installed in the cottage and chapel. I believe there are photos around of the first day it was opened in 1900 and would love to see one of these.  I would also appreciate any suggestions as to where I may look to find out more info.  I believe the school records are held in Llandudno so am going to go there soon.  Is there anyone who had relatives who went to the school?  Many thanks.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cyfyng Council School Penmachno
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 11 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Helo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cyfyng Council School Penmachno
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 August 19 14:35 BST (UK) »
My dad was born in 1941 and lived on Tanaeldroch farm a few miles away. He attended the school. His name was William Heflin Owen.