Author Topic: The term "son-in law"  (Read 1166 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The term "son-in law"
« on: Monday 09 May 05 12:34 BST (UK) »
I have noticed on a few occasions on IGI 1881 census entries that the term Son-In Law is used in an odd way to apply to a boy living in the home of someone with a different surname from his own.  It is not possible that he is married to a daughter of the household as the ages are far too young and because the letter U  (unmarried)  often follows the name - eg. Albert Brown, U ,son-in -law age 14

Is this some old way of saying adopted person or what is it? Advice sought.  S.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The term "son-in law"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 05 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi sparrett,

See this topic: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,49127.0.html

Quote from: bearkat
The term son-in-law was often used instead of stepson.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 05 12:56 BST (UK) »
I have had a few instances where son - in - law has been used to mean stepson. Perhaps the term stepson wasnt about then. One enumerator seemed to have got around this by writing "son of the wife".

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi ffzzybub and Bob,  Big help on sorting that one.  Thanks to you both .  That is no doubt what it means   Adopted son.  I wonder whether the "in-law" really meant there had been a legal process  like today's legal adoption.  Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 11:51 BST (UK) »
I did have one listed as an 'adapted son' though I think this was a misread when it was been transcribed lol

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /