Author Topic: 12 Lower Leeson Street  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
12 Lower Leeson Street
« on: Monday 14 November 11 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know what this building would have been like in the 1920's? I know currently it is  a large building that is used for offices but it is a residential address on a marriage certificate I have for 1927. I wondered if anyone could throw any light on how the building was used then?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Lower Leeson Street
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 11 20:41 GMT (UK) »
In 1927 and 1930, 12 Leeson Street Lower is listed as D. B. Gordan.

Mrs Laffen is listed at the address in 1921

On the 1911 census building return it's listed as 'Shop & Dwelling'.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 11 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - you have just added another few years to the person I am searching for ( 1927 marriage cert being the last known facts I had on him until now) Can you tell me if there are other people living there in 1930 ? Were they flats? From what I recollect it is a huge building.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Directories like Thom's usually only show the primary householder - no other other names are shown. If slightly later dates are of any interest then it you could try searching the 1939 Dublin City voters register. It would show all the adults registered at the address - see www.dublinheritage.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Number 12 is on the western side of the street near the Stephen's Green end, and currently used a part of an office complex. I dont think it's the same building that was at the address during 1911... the 1911 building returns show number 12 has 6 windows in the front, and the modern building has 15. Maybe it was redeveloped at some stage ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information. I have walked past the building, when I visited, and assumed it was old enough to have been there in the late 1920's but you are definitely right about the number of windows so that does suggest it is probably a newer building that is there now.
Also for the link to the electoral register of 1939. Not being in Ireland I had no idea that this existed. I have checked and other people are there by that date. The names I am interested in seem to have disappeared from Dublin but at least I know that! Really appreciate your help - this is an amazing board!