Author Topic: Gibson  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gibson
« on: Monday 14 November 11 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Mc Keown. I am researching Gibsons,and I have a stumbling block with William Gibson of Carrick.(At least that's where they were at the time of son Alexander Gibson's marriage to Mary Ann Rosborough)
I think William Gibson,bc 1795 married a Margaret or Martha Mc Keown of Drumachose c 1818,but can't find which church they married in. Gibsons were Presbyterians,but Margaret/Martha Mc Keown may not have been.(They usually m'd in brides church)
I also have a Gibson/Irwin connection - John Gibson bc 1775 m'd Jane Irwin c 1797 children -Mary 1798,James 1800,Thomas 1802,John 1804,Joseph 1806,James 1808 (died Michigan,U.S.1890) and Matthew 1817 died 1889.These early Gibsons were in Ballykelly area.(I noted this family in early research,thinking they may have been connected to my Gibson family,but I don't think they are.They may be of interest to you) 
After 1850 Gibsons were in Dernaflaw,then Aughlish.
Do you have any Gibson connection? Agnetta

Moderator's Note: split from another thread-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,559688.0.html

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Irwin 1867 Ballykelly, Co Derry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 11 19:58 GMT (UK) »
There are two Gibson christenings in Christchurch, Limavady Church of Ireland [Mary/Margt/Martha can be difficult to distinguish if the handwriting is poor!!]

1818 - Robert, son of Wm Gibson & his wife Mary 15 Nov'r 1818
1821 - John son of Wm & Martha Gibson L'Vaddy Oct 26 1821

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Irwin 1867 Ballykelly, Co Derry
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 04:48 GMT (UK) »

Gortinanima - I do have these 2 sons (Robert 1818 and John GIBSON 1821) but not where they were christened,so thank you for that.  They must have been living in or near Limavady at that time.  my search is for Alexander Gibson b 1833 who married Mary Ann Rosborough in 1856 in Bovevagh C.ofI.On their marriage cert his father is William Gibson of Carrick (hers is David Rosborough - a SOLID brick wall)
There is an Alec Gibson b 1833 on LDS,but no parents or place.
That's quite a gap from 1821 to 1833,although there is a Matilda Gibson b 1827 and a William James Gibson b 1837 - father William Gibson,but in Bovevagh area.
William is my brick wall - Bc 1795 where ?(possibly Ballykelly area) m'd Margaret/Martha  ?? (possibly Mc Keown)where ?
Any help with William,will be appreciated. Betsy Harper