Author Topic: BrickWall  (Read 5655 times)

Offline arrakchrome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BrickWall
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 November 11 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I see what is being said now.  No, there are only 2 johns, John Jr is my Great Grandfather that we know about, John Sr is the one we know very little about.  John Sr's father we know nothing about.

I thought it was said to get the marriage for John Jr, but it was said for John Sr to get his fathers information, that makes sense now.

Thanks, will have to look into it.

--Erik

Offline arrakchrome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 December 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »
What is the best way to go about ordering a marriage certificate?  I have never had to do that before.  I know there are many services out there, what are the pros and cons to them?

Thanks

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 December 11 21:28 GMT (UK) »
For a marriage in England or Wales, you can order a copy of the registration online from the GRO's website:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

I've done that many times and have never had a problem.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline arrakchrome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 December 11 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Another question,

Someone had mentioned that they had found the marriage registration in the last quarter of 1899.  To order this certificate I need an exact date, is there anyway I can find the date from this?

The resources that I use are not showing me anything useful.

Thanks for the help, and I hope everyone a Merry Christmas!

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 December 11 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

No, you don't need an exact date.  Jacquie, in reply number 6, gave you all the information you need.  You can go to the Free BMD site and search for the marriage in 1899.  I searched for Caroline Cook. 

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Here, you have the name, place, quarter, volume number and page (just as Jacquie found for you... this is where you get it).   This is all you need.  Go to the GRO site that Jacquie posted and follow the steps.   There are lots of instructions on the site and some FAQs too.   Just read through all of that stuff and you should be fine!! :)  I made my first order not that long ago and I used that site with no problems.  I didn't know the exact marriage dates either ... I found those out when the certificates arrived.   :) :)

Offline arrakchrome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 December 11 06:44 GMT (UK) »
I get it now.  Thanks Run Kitty.  I didn't think that I knew the date from the information provided, and I thought the site needed the date.  Though if not that makes life easier.  Fortunately I have had a lot of help over the last year for most of my families history, I am now getting past the point of what they know.  This particular branch is the shortest brickwall that I had, so I thought it would be the best target to take down.

Thanks for all the help and understanding in this matter!