Author Topic: Genes Reunited replies  (Read 6543 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited replies
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm not quite sure what you were hoping for them to say. They said that they could not make replying compulsory.  They also said they had no facility to show when a member was last online. Maybe with your input they may consider adding this facility - but it won't happen overnight.

GR is certainly not alone in this...all the subscription and non-subscription tree sites have this problem. People come an go, some people have more interest than others. I agree it is annoying but there is not much (if anything) they can do about it.

I don't think removing old trees would be productive, because often I get in touch on other sites with people who put their trees on years ago, and never had a single contact until mine. I also don't think it would be right to remove people just because of their inactivity - people live busy lives and some may not have as much time as others to devote to family history. If it falls to the side for a couple years, they might want to come back to it when they have more time or inclination to do so.

I no longer subscribe, and I just let people who are interested contact me. I can reply and often develop good contacts. Of course, if everyone did this, the site would not produce any contacts all, but it's worked ok for me. At least I know everyone who sends me a message has a genuine (perhaps lasting) interest.

Alexander

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited replies
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Well I suppose I was hoping that they'd stop promoting it as a Facebook type of thing! I'm well aware that they can't make replying compulsory, I didn't need them to point it out but if they're going to promote GR as a family history site then that's what they should focus on. I don't think I suggested removing trees due to inactivity but like you, I want to think that the people I am sending messages to have a genuine interest.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales