Author Topic: james henderson  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: james henderson
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 November 11 00:33 GMT (UK) »
What I am saying is to keep an open mind about the 1891 entry you found for James.  It could possibly be the other James.  The 1891 and 1901 occupations are very similar

IMO, the James on the 1891 census is James Stobs Henderson. James and Betsy Henderson and their other children are also listed on the 1891 census in Galashiels so it looks like their whole family moved.

I haven't been able to find a trace of James born 1869 (+/- 2 years) who fits on any Scotland census after 1881.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 November 11 00:48 GMT (UK) »
and I know from my cousins that James emigrated,

Lets look at it from that angle.

What proof have your cousins provided that confirms James emigrated to Canada?  Any emigration would have been long before they were born so are they in possession of any family documentation - letters from him etc -  that support the statement that he emigrated?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 November 11 07:06 GMT (UK) »
My Gran would have told my Aunties, which was my Mums half sister, and they have passed on that information, as my Mum and my Aunties have all passed away, there is now way I can ask them. But 1 of my cousins can verify that he did emigrate, as all of my Grans's family and her were going to, but my Grand Husband was killed in the ww1 so there plans never materialised.

Ann

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 November 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I have downloaded James Srobs Henderson death certificate, it isn't my James.

Ann

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 November 11 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

We know it isn't your James - as I have explained previously - his birth is on the IGI and that James parents were entirely different to your James

JAMES STOBS HENDERSON   Birth:  31 JAN 1871   Oxnam, Roxburgh   
Father:  JAMES HENDERSON    Mother:  BETSY TURNBULL 

Please read the previous replies.  Basically - the 1891 entry you found is NOT your James.  It's the James above

That is why I said to be careful as I had found that 2 James Hendersons were born close together in the same place and it would be easy to get them confused if they were not living with their respective parents

As you will have now read in an earlier reply by Jacquie in Canada - I was right.  The 1891 entry you found was definitely NOT your James

SO - if no 1891/1901 entry can be found for James, you have to assume that he left for Canada before 1891

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 November 11 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I am certain it was 1911 to 1919.

Ann