Author Topic: Disposing of all FH Records  (Read 15472 times)

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Disposing of all FH Records
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Forty years ago, today, as a matter of fact, my brother and I together with our mother were going through Dad's very large trunk of diaries, he had been a railway driver, and had meticulously kept a complete diary of every day since he joined the GNR in March 1919. I asked Mum what I was to do with them, she said simply destroy them, so I did exactly as I was told,

what a shame. I can understand the dilemma though-clearly the records meant a lot to him but it wasn't valued by the next of kin. There would have been several archives who would have been delighted to preserve rare personal and details reflections of daily life on the railways.
A few years ago I was talking with a work colleague who had been left hand illustrated war diaries, photos and memorabilia of an ancestor who was a pow in Singapore.  They were not remotely interested in them, didn't think they were were worth keeping for their children and had no idea what to do other than chuck them in the bin. By chance, a friend prompted them to write to Raffles Hotel to see if they would be interested in the material.  Not only was the archivist there desperate to get the stuff, the hotel paid business class flights and let them stay all expenses paid in the presidential suite for a week by way of thankyou

so-I guess the moral of the story is, just because the immediate relatives fail to appreciate the importance or value of the records,don't give up-future generations may relish it or external parties may understand the rare opportunity to build a rich picture of the past.

could the material possibly be held in trust until the next generation can appreciate it?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline prince2010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 19:43 GMT (UK) »
If no other repository can be found, organise a safe deposit box at the bank.  Make it a codicil in your Will, that the box has to be kept in perpetuity for that upcoming family historian who hasn't yet become obvious :)

I agree 100%.

I now wish I had of asked my late grandmother all the details of her family, it would have saved me 100 of hours researching it now.
Kent/Somerset/Essex/London : Smith, Thompson, Moor, Phillipson, Goward, Jenkins, Roberts, Longhurst, Cooper, Henshaw, Ling
Lancashire/Derbyshire : Prince, Savage, Holmes, Maiden, Taylor

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Dad never talked of his experiences in WW1, now I have a copy of his regimental history in which he had annotated in pencil an action in which I believe he was involved, the war diary doesn't give name other than those of officers, and a photo which seems relevant has probably been lost, so it is unlikely I shall never know for certain.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 20:32 GMT (UK) »
If no other repository can be found, organise a safe deposit box at the bank.  Make it a codicil in your Will, that the box has to be kept in perpetuity for that upcoming family historian who hasn't yet become obvious :)

I agree 100%.

I now wish I had of asked my late grandmother all the details of her family, it would have saved me 100 of hours researching it now.

Yes, I agree too, it is a good way to do it. I am keeping the options open.

The stories coming from those here who had stuff lost, by reasons back then thought best at the time, must be heartbreaking now knowing that such evidence would be so valuable. 
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Copyright Editor

« Reply #67 on: Thursday 01 December 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »
This thread has been edited to remove personal and argumentative comments.  Please keep to the topic.

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 01 December 11 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I am thinking of paying a professional genealogist to complete my Family History record, and then it will be prepared ready to view and to store. I have the funds available so that is not an issue to worry about, although I am keen not to be fleeced.

I would like to hear if anyone has done this and how it turned out. Of course, no company names will be mentioned. I look forward to any replies.

Bethgem

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 01 December 11 22:20 GMT (UK) »
This thread has been edited to remove personal and argumentative comments.  Please keep to the topic.

Just to say thank you, Editor. It is good to be back.

I will be looking into various options as to where to leave my FH records. One of them will be with the historians in the place where my grandparents lived, which was Congleton, Cheshire. I have to find out if they are interested, first.

Many thanks for all the suggestions made on this topic, which I had started here to find out what is available out there. I will also be researching more on my Father's side.

Bethgem

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 01 December 11 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bethgem

Before spending money on a Professional Genealogist I would talk to an archivist and get advice on the preservation of FH Records, even if the archivist isn't interested in yours and if possible have a look at examples, even visit the SOG. You can at least compare your research to others and get an idea of what needs to be done.

I would also consider self publishing your research. You could then donate a copy to various libraries and record offices that your research covers, you could also give various family members copies. If your family is not interested in your research, spend their inheritance.

Andy

Copyright Editor

« Reply #71 on: Friday 02 December 11 08:59 GMT (UK) »
As some parts of this thread have had to be removed because of inappropriate comments the moderating team have decided that the best course of action is to lock it.

Apologies to Bethgem for having to do this to her thread, but since some members do not seem to be able to restrain themselves and act courteously, as required, this is our only recourse.  If anyone wishes to offer Bethgem serious advice, then please can they contact her by personal message?