Author Topic: Where is/was Hampden Park Hotel, Eastbourne  (Read 19330 times)

Offline susanbaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where is/was Hampden Park Hotel, Eastbourne
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 June 05 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was born in Eastbourne and went to the infants school in Broderick Road. At the bottom near the parade of shops which were built about 1970, there used to be The Trust House Hotel. I believe it was derelict during the 1960's, and as kids we were sure it was haunted. If you look at a book of Eastbourne in old photos I'm sure you will find a picture of the hotel, owned by Trust House Forte I believe. :)

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Susan, I haven't found a photo of it yet so it's worth having a looks.
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline m.sharp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 June 05 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Is this hotel anywhere near Pevensey Road, Eastbourne, have just got my G/Grandfather death cert. thru and he was a commissionaire and lived at Pevensey Rd.  At least i think it's my g/father as it was registered by his Widow and my Nan wouldn't divorce him!!  I sense a bit of bigamy there, it must be him as there was other (that i've found anyway) name like it in my family,only my Dad.
Regards Margaret.
COLLISON; SENNITT; MONEY; GOTOBED; HITCH; LOWE;LANGFORD;LEAVENS: SENNITT(CAMBRIDGE)  LANE; GUDGE;BASHFORD(SURREY)  NEWMAN; SHARP;(MIDDLESEX)
COLLISON; DOWSING (SUSSEX: KENT) WYATT/EAST; CUTLER (BUCKS.)SENNETT/SENNITT: ASHTON: (CAMBRIDGE, CHELSEA, ISLINGTON, CAMBERWELL.)

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 June 05 21:45 BST (UK) »
Margaret,

Pevensey Road is down near the sea front, Hampton Park is inland two miles to the north. BUT it is possible that he used the train, working one stop up the line while living in the main town where property was less exclusive. There were and are many hotels in Eastbourne and he could have worked at any of them.

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline m.sharp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 June 05 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanx for that Rod,
Is there any way I can find out if he had children with this lady?  His name was HERBERT WILLIAM SENNITT and she signed his death cert as E. Sennitt, Widow of deceased, like a Graveyard list only there's nothing leading to it on the Council website.  It's very fascinating as i would like to know her name,  was it Ellen or Elizabeth etc.
Cheers
Margaret.
COLLISON; SENNITT; MONEY; GOTOBED; HITCH; LOWE;LANGFORD;LEAVENS: SENNITT(CAMBRIDGE)  LANE; GUDGE;BASHFORD(SURREY)  NEWMAN; SHARP;(MIDDLESEX)
COLLISON; DOWSING (SUSSEX: KENT) WYATT/EAST; CUTLER (BUCKS.)SENNETT/SENNITT: ASHTON: (CAMBRIDGE, CHELSEA, ISLINGTON, CAMBERWELL.)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 June 05 11:06 BST (UK) »
Margaret

A couple of other ideas:

Local newspaper for any obituary/notice of death

Electoral regsiters for last known address

Eastbourne library may have some of these resources

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/libraries/find/eastbourne/

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 June 05 11:12 BST (UK) »
Margaret,

first thing is a few dates. Always helps to know when you are looking!

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.

Offline m.sharp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 June 05 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Rod,
The dates are 30.12.1931 that he died, in a sanatorium (I think) of heart disease, whose address was 123 Church St. but he lived at 76 Pevensey Rd, with his widow E. Sennitt.  His name was Herbert William Sennitt and he was 63 when he died.  Thanx.
Margaret.

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 June 05 21:39 BST (UK) »
Margaret,

there are no Sennitts in the 1915 Kelley's and the 1965 shows 76 Pevensey Road as the Buckleigh Guest House. I will try at the library for any directories between these dates. It may take me a week or two to find the time, so please be patient,

Rod

PS if anyone else has more records or quicker access, please jump in!