Author Topic: Alfred Davies and Elizabeth Rollo  (Read 4952 times)

Offline bkinghorn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Davies and Elizabeth Rollo
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 December 11 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Have heard from RWF Forum that the 2nd Btn RWF travelled on the transport ship SALAMIS dep 29/10/02 arr Hong Kong 3/11/02. Dep Hong Kong 7/11/02 arr Calcutta 24/11/02.

Any ideas on how to find records of the passengers?

Regards

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 December 11 04:56 GMT (UK) »
If he travelled on a transport they would not have taken a passenger list. The officers would have taken a roll call once (maybe twice) a day to see if anyone had fallen overboard. You only get soldiers on passenger lists when one or two (usually officers) travel out on commercial steamships. You have more chance of finding him or his wife returning from India.

What occupation is given for the father on Hugh Alexander Davies’ birth certificate? It should give an address, in which case you should check the electoral roll, as the ones during the Great War often give details of soldier’s regiment, even with number.

You should also concentrate on showing an image of the medal. Most RWF men in South Africa would have received two medals. As they were there into 1902 they also qualified for the Kings medal.

You may be better off ignoring his army service. As you have an accurate date of birth (within a month) you could try looking for an Alfred Davies (father Charles) starting with the Wrexham/Cheshire area. Can you say when in October 1902 the wedding took place?

Ken

Offline bkinghorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 December 11 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Ken
I have sent you a pm with a link to the documents that I have, as I was having problems posting photos/attachments to this thread.

Alfred and Elizabeth's marriage took place on the 7th Oct 1902 in Peking.I don't know for certain if Alfred served in South Africa before he went to China, but he definitely went from China to India.
Unfortunately I haven't got a birth certificate for Hugh Alexander Davies so far.

I did try requesting a birth certificate from the GRO for Alfred, stipulating that the search be restricted to the second and third quarters of 1876 and that the father's name must be Charles, but drew a blank. Looks like I'll have to broaden my search.

How would I find passenger lists for their return journey, as any passenger lists I have found so far have been for the outward journey only.

Regards

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 December 11 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to Ancestry's incoming passenger lists - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/DB.aspx?dbid=1518

Some people landed in the south of France (say) and completed the journey by train. There are no records of these 'incomings'.

He appears to be a Sergeant Major. You need a better scan of the medal to say it it is from the Boer War, India or China.

Ken

Offline smileyjen101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 November 19 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Re: 'My great grandmother's name was Elizabeth Rollo, she was born in the North East of Scotland in 1875. In the 1891 census she was living with her mother, Christina and several brothers and sisters at Mill of Auquharney, Hatton, near Peterhead,'

Hi there cousin :),  .. my grandfather William Rollo was Christina Rollo's grandson, (although there was another Christina one generation down, but I'm guessing by the dates that she was your great grandmother's sister)... so your great grandmother Elizabeth must have been my granda's aunt if Christina senior, or his cousin if Christina junior.

His mother was Jane Barclay Rollo. She had Edith and William, both out of wedlock.

I have a photo of the family with Christina outside 1 Mill Cottages, Auquharney when my granda was just a toddler maybe Elizabeth is one of the sisters/aunties shown with a heap of the kids - my granda called it the farm and was raised there.

Re: "After service in China, Alfred was posted to India. Alfred and Elizabeth's three children were born in India: Clarence George (1904), Ian Llewellyn (1905) and Muriel Jean (1907)."
I'm pretty sure your Muriel was the namesake for my aunt Muriel - my Mum's sister - William's daughter. Unfortunately my Mum Helen Hay Rollo (wed George Gibb Cooper) passed away last year, but I could ask my Aunt as I'm pretty sure she had contact with their dad's 'cousin Muriel' when they were growing up.

I'm away from home but would love to check my files against your info and show you the photo if you'd like.

Do you have much information about the Rollo side from the farm?

Which one of their children was your grandparent?

Offline Gleniffer52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 April 22 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi smileyjen101

I too am related back to Alexander and Christina Rollo through their son William. Happy to share info with you - though prefer offline.

Offline Agentrab

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hugh Alexander Davies was born 13 MAR 1918 in Asansol, West Bengal, India.
DEATH JUN 2000 • Basford, Nottinghamshire, England. He was married to Ethel Mary Leadbeater.
Oct 1945 • Uxbridge, Middlesex, England. Hugh was living at -: 6 Brandville Road, West Drayton, Uxbridge. Ethel Mary was living at -: 14 Brandville Road, West Drayton, Uxbridge. High had an older sister Gwendoline Mabel Davies also born 19 SEP 1916 in Calcutta, West Bengal, India. Alfred Davies Father, mother Mabel Alice no surname. I am related by Ethel Mary, she was my Grandfathers Aunty.
Would like to know how to get a copy of Alfred Davies photo taken in 1910, by which time he was a Sergeant with the Assam Bengal Volunteer Rifles.
Came across this forum by accident, so glad I did given me lots of information. Now looking at the census for Charles Davies, Gamekeeper. As yet no luck.