Author Topic: St Begas.  (Read 9919 times)

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Begas.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 22:50 GMT (UK) »
This is what Reverend Caesar Caine, Church of England Vicar at the nearby St Leonard's, Cleator (1910 - 1922) and author of the definitive history of Cleator & Cleator Moor, wrote about the Catholic chapel and the two schools in this part of the village. 

On St Bega's Chapel and the Catholic School, first built in 1853:

"The Reverend Gregory Holden, O.S.B., founded the Roman Catholic Mission at the foot of of Todholes in 1853, building a small Church with School in the rear. When the present handsome Church was erected in 1872, the original Mission Church was utilized as  the main Schooloom."

On the Council School (now Grove Court) built in 1910:

" The latest development in connection with Cleator Schools is the erection of the Council School, which replaced the School at the Mill in 1910. ..... The School is a handsome structure standing on a site of 2 1/2 acres on the main road near The Flosh. The site is well situated opposite Dent, and is divided from the high road by a plantation."

Caine, C. (1916), "Cleator & Cleator Moor: Past and Present".

As previously indicated, what is now the Grove Court Hotel was not part of the Catholic church / school grounds and built in 1910 (which is why it does not appear on a map of 1899 but does appear on the 1925 map, Geoff!).

There is also a description of St Bega's in the 1861 Cumberland Directory & Gazetteer which, if nothing else Brad, may at least give you a mind's eye picture of how it looked:  

"The Roman Catholic church, built in 1853, is a spacious, but plain edifice, with a low tower of red freestone, and affords accommodation for 500 hearers."  

A link to the present parish website was given in an earlier posting to this thread, Brad. You will find contact details on there if you wish to make a direct request to see if anyone has a photograph or sketch of the former building when it was a school.

Attached is another recent photograph of the church grounds (again with the Grove Court Hotel the other side of the wall). This is what would have been the original Catholic cemetery for the district. Unfortunately I do not have the date of the Calvary sculpture in the middle. Some of the headstones seen in the picture date from the latter part of the 19th C.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Brad
Came across this today.  The Aerofilms Archive  of 1.26 million negatives is currently with the National Monuments Record, part of English Heritage.  They are into a project to scan and digitise 95,000 images from the archive.  I think things are a bit chaotic from what I have heard but it may be worth a try. The earliest images are from 1919.  They can be emailed at:

nmrinfo@english-heritage.org.uk

I think its worth a try but I don't know what their charges are like.

Regards

Chester
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Pcochlain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 December 20 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Please can anybody help me out.Looking for the Catholic Chapel at Begas  near Cleator. Cumbria This  is where my family were married and although I have a marriage certificate I would love to find the banes of Marriage.
Where can i go for these . the name is John Carrol and Catherine Carton who married there in 1869 the second of January.
Any help would be great plus a photo of the church would be great. Thanks  Brad.

Offline Pcochlain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 December 20 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Apologies this site seemed to remove my message when I posted it.
Sorry for bumping the thread I can't direct message as of yet. Brad, my family history is Coughlan from Cleator Moor with origins in. Waterford before that. I wonder if there is a link?

Please can anybody help me out.Looking for the Catholic Chapel at Begas  near Cleator. Cumbria This  is where my family were married and although I have a marriage certificate I would love to find the banes of Marriage.
Where can i go for these . the name is John Carrol and Catherine Carton who married there in 1869 the second of January.
Any help would be great plus a photo of the church would be great. Thanks  Brad.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 December 20 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pcochlain,

Welcome to RootsChat.

You had just pressed the quote button instead of the reply button, you will find the reply button at the end of the topic just after the last response ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thatcanyon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 17:20 GMT (UK) »
The photo posted by Geoff-E shows, R to L, the present day church of St. Mary's, the Priory (presbytery) and the Old Priory, not a school house. I suggest you go to Cleator Moor Born and Bred on Facebook and search for the photographs there. I know for certain that pictures of St. Bega's which became St. Mary's Primary and then was completely demolished have been posted there. If they have been removed, an appeal for some to be posted would bear fruit, I am sure. I know of people there who have extensive albums for the town. St. Mary's is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year.