Author Topic: Povall/Lindwall  (Read 2745 times)

Offline scorpiom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Povall/Lindwall
« on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
One of my grandmother's brothers was called Arthur Lindwall Povall.  The name Lindwall seems to come from Sweden. In the SA records there is the death of Arthur Tunstall Povall.  I suppose the transcriber could have mis-read the name.  I am trying to make the connection between the Povalls, some of whom were born in South Africa and Lindwall.  I presume it would be the surname of one of the mothers.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Povall/Lindwall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 11 10:56 GMT (UK) »
If you are curious about the document you could order a copy through eggsa.org. The death record should tell you the parents names

Regards

Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline geraldinepovall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 13 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello, my grandfather was an Arthur Tunstall Povall who passed away in S.Africa in 1948. I've yet to discover whether he had any brothers.
Geraldine Povall

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 January 13 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geraldine if you live in South Africa you can get the records from the archives. In the documents you should see names of family members. The records for Arthur are in Pietermaritzburg Archive (NAB), MSCE, Leer. VOLUME_NO 00, SYSTEM    01,
REFERENCE 164/1949, PART      1, DESCRIPTION          POVALL, ARTHUR TUNSTALL. S/SP POVALL, MARGARET, STARTING  19480000.
 ENDING  19490000.

To obtain pictures of documents held in the National Archives. Go to http://www.eggsa.org and select Content --> On Line Shop --> order Archive documents.  Once you have selected the currency, select "Enter the Shop" and then select "Archive photos" (in yellow on the blue band) and follow the instructions. They are only able to organise the photographing of documents from the South African Archives at Pretoria (TAB), Bloemfontein (VAB), Pietermaritzburg (NAB) and Durban(TBD). Other archives such as KAB require a researcher to transcribe documents by hand as no copying by camera or photocopying is allowed. Rates are cheap especially if ordering from overseas.

Hope this helps regards Derek                                                             
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 13 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi just had another look on the South African archives, use this link http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300qi?20130118022134C437B006&FUNC=N open the link type in Povall first line and enter, 163 records should appear, go through them, I found a POVALL, ERNEST WILLIAM TUNSTALL. BORN IN DURBAN, NATAL on page 4. This may have been his brother. I would also order a death certificate as it gives a lot of info. I went to the archives in Xmas 2011 and made copies of my family death notices using a camera, no photocopying is allowed.

Regards Derek.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline geraldinepovall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 13 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek

Ta for relevant guiding thro' SA Archives.  I suspect you're right about Earnest W Tunstall. Yes, the only way to verify anyone is to see the actual records. I wonder if we have a common ancestor? From whom do you stem in SA? (keep it to yourself if you wish, I'm simply curious having ploughed thro' all the Povall records...)

Did you notice that there was a document referring to an Arthur Lindsell Povall? Lindsell, phonetically and depending on accent, if said quickly is so close to Lindwall and letters so close to each other on a keyboard. If not follow the same link you gave me and it's doc no 139 of 163.

Regards
Geraldine

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 January 13 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geraldine I should have written, when I went to look at my family records, nothing to do with Povall, I was just explaining how the records are copied.

Regards Derek

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 January 13 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Geraldine:) Hello :)
There is, as you probably know, a Povall Road in Durbs between Currie and Musgrave Road. There are passenger records of Natal immigrants and these are the Povall ones...http://www.eggsa.org/cgi-bin/searchArrivals.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geraldinepovall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 January 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ruth  :).regards geraldine