Author Topic: White, Stewart Fulton  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Mandyc100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: White, Stewart Fulton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 February 24 14:03 GMT (UK) »
For clarity I should probably add that it appears Jane was an unmarried mother, the letters written in 1873 refer to something terrible that happened to Jane after William emigrated to Queensland in 1870/71 and it seems that Baby Harry was born in 1871, Harry and Jane are thereafter called White and no marriage records are available for Jane. They appear in a boarding house on the 1871 census just the two of them when Harry is 3 months old.

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 February 24 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Mandy, this is quite an unexpected surprise!
Are you Amanda D. White who married Andrew Clothier in Runcorn in 1994?? You currently work in the pain management field??

I am cautious because Widnes/Runcorn appears several times in the odd branches of the White tree, mostly belonging to ne'er do wells.

My notes show that William Henry White was born 1845 in Langton Dorset. He married Annie Lees in Manchester on 12 April 1869.
Somehow they ended up in Australia with him working as an accountant of some type in Charters Towers, a town near Townsville. He died 5 February1884 and was buried in Aramac.
Billion Graves has his tombstone showing him to be a son of Stewart Fulton W, but there have been at least two corrections to the Billion Graves site so I am not certain what the final outcome was.

I also show that Stewart Fulton White had the following kids by his first wife:
Stewart, Ann, Joseph, Jane, William Henry, with the possibility of an additional John and a James.

I show Jane being born 30 November 1839 in Longfleet (Poole) Dorset.
I am descended from Stewart.

Offline Mandyc100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 February 24 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Yes I am Amanda D White (Dawn) daughter of John V White and Jean Brisco. My information matches up with everything you have just said and the information in the letters I have confirms it all. William Henry (known as Harry) was a bookkeeper but he ended up a bit of a Jack of All Trades to survive on the Charters Towers goldfield and became a butchery expert! His son of the same name followed him into that profession. Thanks for the tip on Billion Graves as I haven’t a photo of his tombstone, I can’t place him at Aramac Cemetery, though there is a photo of his son’s gravestone on Ancestry. I’m going to order his death certificate to see if we can find out why he dies so young, but it sounds like an incredibly tough life out there.

I’d love to know who the ne’er do well Whites are ha ha - I hope its not my branch! Many people were moved out of Liverpool to Runcorn in the 1960s to the new housing schemes during the clearance of Liverpool’s slums, but all my life I have not been aware of any other White family in the Runcorn/Widnes area so that is very interesting. In our case, when Nicholas Norman Stuart White died in an industrial accident in 1961 my father John and Jean left the UK and emigrated to New Zealand and later Australia (Perth) pursuing the building boom in those countries. Luckily Australia was more hospitable in the 1960s and they managed to return to the UK in 1977 with myself and my brother Graham John White.  Runcorn was where they purchased a house on returning to the UK to be close to different family members.

I am now Amanda Clothier and live in Hullavington Wiltshire. Can you tell me which of Stewart’s kids your line is from?

Offline Mandyc100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 24 07:43 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just located William Henry White’s (1884) grave in Charters Towers Pioneer Cemetery, plot Section 5 Grave 1053

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 February 24 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Mandy, you asked which of Stewart's kids I descend from. The problem is an excess of Stewarts.

Stewart Fulton White b about 1805 had the following kids:
Stewart, Ann, Joseph, Jane, William Henry, plus a John and perhaps a James.
This Stewart (b 1834) had the following:
William Alfred Stewart White, Mary E.A. White, and Charlotte S. White.
William Alfred.. in turn produced:
Alfred (b 1911),Stewart (b 1909), David, Alice Eunice, and Jessie May.
I am the son of Alfred. To the best of my knowledge, there is no-one else alive from the Alfred generation. Although Stewart emigrated to Durban South Africa so that is uncertain.

To make it a bit clearer I have emailed a GEDCOM file to the email address on your pain management site. Presumably you have some geneology software that will allow you to view such a file.

HOWEVER. I first uploaded my tree to FamilyTreeDNA as a bare bones tree many years ago and it seems that someone has added a ton of stuff to it going back to 1722!!. It also needs a lot of work with surnames. I will slowly edit all that stuff.
The curious thing is that WASWhite married an Alice Anderson in Liverpool in 1921 who had descended from a bunch of McMurrays living in Port William Wigtown. So it comes full circle.

Now to go back to SFW. It is only my guesswork plus some slim supporting data that places him in NewtownStewart, Ireland. Yes Ireland somewhere but that does not help much if you want to push back further.

Do you have any evidence other than the suggestions on RootsChat that the family lived there??
Also you suggest a link to the leather trade going back to Wigtown. Where does that come from?
Over to you.