Author Topic: Huguenots in Cornwall ??  (Read 28250 times)

Offline Lannandrey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenots in Cornwall ??
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 November 11 15:55 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome, and thank you for your reply.

I can't answer your question about Menhennet, Lilley, Francis, Bohenna or Julian without research, starting with Fred Hancock's PAF. Fred Hancock is the Sheviock Online Parish Clerk. Thank you for reminding me to update/merge my files with Fred's.

I haven't searched on FamilySearch. Have you searched the Cornwall Online Parish Clerk records for the names you are seeking?
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/

My Cornish ancestors were Wesleyan Methodists, but of course they would all have been Roman Catholic at one stage.

Help me with my politics, religio-political  :-[ if you can. If Protestant churches were thin on the ground in Cornwall, where would my "benchmark" marriage have been solemnised, that is, was St. Neot Parish a Catholic parish?
http://v1.cornwall-opc-database.org/searchdb.php?yr=1600&pr=Neot%2C+St.&gfn=Stephen+&gsn=Laundry&bfn=Elizabeth&bsn=Willes&wit=&records=50&Soundex=Soundex&dbname=marriages&formval=&Submit=Search

Ditto for the baptisms of their nine children, the first nine from 1601 to 1623.
http://v1.cornwall-opc-database.org/searchdb.php?yr=16&pr=Neot%2C+St.&forename=&surname=Laundry&father=Stephen&mother=&records=50&Nearby=Nearby&Soundex=Soundex&dbname=baptisms&formval=&Submit=Search

I see births in Liskeard, Menheniot and St. Cleer in my tree.

Don't give up hope of finding your "peeps" as the young folk say on this side of the pond. You started this thread in 2006; it took me until 2011 to pick it up.
Landry and variants

Offline Lannandrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 November 11 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Billie,

Have you discerned a connection between Menhennet and variants and Menheniot parish?
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/menheniot.php

I found 18 Menhenicks, 10 Menhinicks and 11 Menhenitts in Fred Hancock's (Sheviock OPC) PAF. St. Mabyn, St. Stephen's by Saltash, Egloshayle (Bronze Age!) Egloshayle is bounded on the south by Bodmin, where I go back a long way. (thank you GENUKI).

Just a wild guess, but if I were "anglicizing" Menhennet those variants, if they are variants, would solve the "French problem". In my case, "Laundry" removes the "French stain".

Speaking of Wesleyan Methodists, my great grandfather Joseph William Landr(e)y's older sister Fanny Rhoda Landr(e)y was christened
13 October 1847 Callington Circuit Wesleyan Register
credit to Fred Hancock's (Sheviock OPC) PAF.

My paper genealogy says of Fanny Rhoda
b. 30 June 1847. She is the only one of the family
whose baptism does not appear in the Sheviock
Registers.

Thank you for bearing with me through two long posts. I learned something today. I learned that Fanny Rhoda, the 9th of 10 recorded, 13 born, had the benefit of Wesleyan clergy.

Persevere!
Landry and variants

Offline Billie Mendav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 November 11 22:29 GMT (UK) »
You have given me so much to think about, I too will have to do a bit of research before replying properly to your much appreciated posts.    But in the meantime, have you seen this resource?    It has a very good search engine too, so if you type in the name of Cornish ancestors you just might be lucky.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wbritonad/

I have found quite a few of mine.    They were a colourful lot.

Offline Lannandrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 November 11 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Billie,

Thank you, I hadn't heard of the West Briton newspaper. Rather than search my colourful ancestors, I searched "pilchards". My great grandfather Joseph William Landrey wound up the salted pilchard co-operative in Port Wrinkle in 1917. He was the last shareholder. The description in the West Briton of the pilchard run is thrilling.

It is also more palatable than another of my ancestors' pursuits. I'm told they were "wreckers".  The sign on the Finnygook Inn in Crafthole bears modern witness: a skeleton bearing a lantern to lure the hapless onto the rocks.
http://www.finnygook.co.uk/index.html

Landry and variants

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 November 11 02:47 GMT (UK) »

My surname, I spell it LANDREY, is French. I have my direct line to a marriage in St. Neots Parish in Cornwall on July 12 1600. 9 children. Their names, Pascowe, Christian, Benedick, Jone, Tamsyn, Orphew etc., are possibly Protestant, possibly Huguenot in origin. That is the family "story" I was raised with.

I believe we may well have the same direct line to a marriage in St Neots, Cornwall on 12 Jul 1600 between Stephen Lanndry & Elizabeth Willes/Wills/Will.  Stumbled onto this thread and will follow with interest.  No stories of Huguenots have filtered down our line to OZ so am intrigued..
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Lannandrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 November 11 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Wow, great to hear from you cocksie! I was intrigued to see such a rapid response to my last post, but OZ makes sense. None of us doing this stuff sleeps anyway, right?

I attach the lineage. My descent is from William, the 8th of 9 children recorded, born October 22nd 1620, 299 years to the day--October 22nd 1919--my dad Joseph Irwin Landrey was born.

This chart ends with my great grandfather,  Joseph William Landr(ey).

Well well. I must pause and reflect--how did I stumble upon this thread? The moderators have revived and merged it.  And a good thing too!

I look forward to hearing more from you. I've tried to break the "1600 barrier" with no success. That is, Stephen and Elizabeth (3 months' pregnant) married 12 Jul St. Neots, but I cannot find either of them born.
Landry and variants

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 November 11 04:22 GMT (UK) »
3.20pm where I live - possibly arvo nap time in OZ but the bulk of us are well and truely awake.

Fascinating.  I am a relative newbie at this stuff - so will have to work out an easy way to transmit my line down from Stephen & Elizabeth.  In a nutshell, working from your fantastic tree and linking in with what I believe i know:
10ggf Stephen Lanndry & Elizabeth Willes (we share these two)
9ggf William Laundry & Elizabeth (Score?  only marriage I can find in the area and around this time 8 Oct 1649) (We share these two)
8ggm Elizabeth Landry 01.05.1659 d. 1737 m. Nicholas Benny 1682
And continue on in Cornwall down from there to arrive in Australia
4ggf Edmund Webb & Mary Geake

I get stuck with Stephen Lanndry (although have collated a document full of pre 1600 Landry/Laundry/Lanndry(etc) titbits/info from around the area that I haven't been able to "link" together in a cohesive manner)

Elizabeth Willes is interesting.  Cornwall Family History Society database has multiple variations of the spelling of this surname - Willes, Wills, Will, Wille, Wil, Wylls etc.  She COULD have been the daughter of Willm Will and Jone Hawton - chr. Feb 1580 St Neot

Not probably strictly my direct line ... but I love chasing the women down too, particularly when I like the sound of their names.

Will study what you sent (quick scan makes me feel at home with ongoing intermarrying of cousins!) and work out a way to send you something cohesive from my end.

cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Lannandrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 November 11 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating indeed. I am newbier than thou :) Such a "noob" that I haven't even filled in my profile basics, family names, areas of interest etc.

I inherited the fantastic tree. Its provenance is Davey. I have a basic grasp of the Landrys, (& variants) Daveys and Trevans (& variants) in my family. Only yesterday thanks to this thread did I make the connection between the "oddity" of my great grand father's older sister Fanny Rhoda's birth not being in the Sheviock register but being registered on the Callington Circuit Wesleyan Register.

Bastards, lots of them. My 4 gggm Annie Cli(y)nnick had a son with John Trevan before she married John Landrey. My great grandfather Jos. Wm. Landrey married his deceased wife's sister and had five more children. What's a fellow to do when his wife dies and leaves him with an infant?

Elizabeth Willes could have been the daughter of Willm Will and Jone Hawton.
She COULD have been the daughter of Willm Will and Jone Hawton - chr. Feb 1580 St Neot

Born in St. Neot, married there at age 20, named her daughter Jone and her son William. Good work--I hadn't considered all the variants of the surname. Where do you see the record of her christening Feb. 1580 St Neot?

I agree, the name Jone is due for a revival. What a great name.

And so to bed, to rise to an explanation of "arvo nap time in OZ".  ???

Ann
Landry and variants

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 November 11 06:07 GMT (UK) »
I've got so many cornish ancestor first cousins intermarrying generation after generation (in both Cornwall and continuing on in OZ in early to mid 1800s)  that my father and I now discreetly check each other out to make sure neither of us has a second head about to start growing out of the sides of our necks!

Elizabeth Will chr Feb 1580 to Willm Will & Jone Hawton - came from the Cornwall Family History Society Database (I became a member earlier this year - which has been very worthwhile)

"arvo nap time in Oz" = afternoon sleep in Australia

Sleep well Lannandrey
Will be in touch