Author Topic: Griffith/Smy(i)th / Dublin / Riddle Row  (Read 27702 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: SMY(I)TH RIDDLE ROW DUBLIN
« Reply #135 on: Monday 21 November 11 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look through some of the earlier Griffith/Smith thread, and found the references to Esther on the census - on the 1901 census she gives her place of birth as County Dublin, conflicting slightly with the details on the 1911 return where she has Dublin City. If she was born in Co. Dublin then it could be in a parish outside the area covered by IrishGenealogy.ie

There's so much information in the previous thread that I think it's simpler the merge the two together.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Monday 21 November 11 14:20 GMT (UK) »
ok thanks for checking the address for me Shane, its a conundrum, how can the same person have 2 differently named women as her mother on 2 documents and a different father on a 3rd document but with exactly the same dates and name of child??  Secondly why does Riddle Row not show up on street addresses even though named as address of parents in 1880?

thanks for your new reply: I believe the birth is definitely correct of Esther as it tallys correctly with cns' etc but she was only just 15.5 when she married a widowed man more than twice her age.  On cns 1901 and 11 it says she was born in Dublin City.

yes, i believe the occupation of michael's probably did change, but then again if you remember about no 5 and 3 Mary St in 1880 on Esther's marriage cert, you couldn't find anyone at that address but I know she had a business there at both addresses as young as she was.
Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith/Smy(i)th / Dublin / Riddle Row
« Reply #137 on: Monday 21 November 11 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Riddle's Row certainly existed in 1880, but like some of the minor streets it's just not specifically listed in Thom's. The streets they leave out tend to be the one with just tenements or small houses.

The differing details on the potential birth certs vs the marriage, could mean the documents relate to different people ...

If I have the correct return (Mary Street) the 1901 census has Co. Dublin as place of birth for Esther. The city boundary moved outwards over the years, so what was considered Co. Dublin in 1850 might have been city by 1911. Esther's age isnt consistent on the two returns (47 in 1911, vs 42 in 1901).. so you would need to allow a bit of leeway when searching for her baptism/birth

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Monday 21 November 11 14:27 GMT (UK) »
thanks for adding the links Shane
Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Monday 21 November 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Shane,
Can you find Michael Smy/ith anywhere between 1880 and 1890 as a cattle dealer in dublin anywhere nearby Riddle Row? 
Thanks Catherine

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Monday 21 November 11 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Can you find Michael Smy/ith anywhere between 1880 and 1890 as a cattle dealer in dublin anywhere nearby Riddle Row? 

I'm pretty sure I checked for Michael before.. but will have a look again. Unless he was a major dealer it's unlikely that he would have a directory listing.

A couple of conflicting problems are:
I have found a parish record for Este Smyth 24 Oct 1864 which is the year my g grandmother was born, address is 10 Greek Street Dublin. Parents are named as THOMAS SMYTH and BRIDGET LEWIS.  The church record is Dublin RC St Michan.
someone sent me a copy of a birth cert of Esther Smith which gives birth date as 24th Oct 1864 of 10 Greek St, parents are MICHAEL SMYTH a labourer and BRIDGET SMITH formerly Lewis both of 10 Greek St.

back to that baptism / birth conflict you mentioned ...

The baptism/birth record look to be the same person, but I wouldn't be so sure that it's your Esther, since neither of the parents names match the marriage record you have.

I think you need to check a few years either way in case the estimated year of birth you have for Esther is inaccurate. If she was born slightly before 1864, then you would have to check parish records for baptism. The IrishGenealogy website has many RC records for the City Area, but not all the parishes (e.g. St. Paul's, and only a few for Co. Dublin.

The other point to remember is that during the early years of Civil Registration, not all births were registered.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Monday 21 November 11 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Shane

I know it sounds odd but I'm sure this is the correct one as even her death age indicates she was born 1864...........I suppose I'll just have to keep looking, on another note, although she didn't name any of her children Michael, from what I have checked up on Esther's siblings.,..if they are her siblings of course, Christopher and Alice, Esther and Wiliam's first born child was named Christopher (but I also know William's father was named christopher) her first born daughter was named Bridget and one of her other daughters named Mary Alice..........just a few thoughts
Catherine