Author Topic: Bruntons of Cullercoats?  (Read 9882 times)

Offline reavers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bruntons of Cullercoats?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 May 12 02:15 BST (UK) »
hi, the BRUNTONS fisherfolk of cullercoats are all in my family tree, and i have a sister who is a geneology buff, i will try and get her to contact you as soon as possible as she will be able to help you im sure......REAVERS

Offline Lynda Ellis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 July 15 20:07 BST (UK) »
My mother was Olive Brunton from Cullercoats. Her grandfather had a boat called The Progress.

Offline Lulu7757

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention, I also had a Great Uncle, Alexander Brunton, my mothers uncle. He was in the Canadian navy and visited us in London during the war.  He was shocked at our 'rationing' and went back to the ship, and returned with his kit-bag full of provisions! He lived in Canada.

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 July 15 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You could try our local archive: discover@northtyneside.gov.uk  to see what they have.  I know that a descendant of the Brunton family was an avid researcher a few years ago, and would have left copies at the archive of his research.

Regards,

Trini.
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maurice Oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 July 17 08:20 BST (UK) »
A bit late but I was looking up my grandfather Jacob Brunton who survived the lifeboat disaster in 1939 and Google pulled up this site.
Hannah Glendinning Brunton married Maurice Stewartson and had 4 boys we moved to Australia in 1960 and there are numerous offspring.
Hannah died on 30th December 2016.
My niece was involved with chasing up our family tree but I think that she concentrated on the Stewartson side but I could be wrong, my Dad is still alive at 90 and remembers a lot about the Brunton's.
Glad that someone is interested.
Did some checking and it seems CarolK has already been on this site and is in touch with some. So my post is only useful in putting a death notice up.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 July 17 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone researching the Bruntons,

I have been able to look up the marriage of Jacob and Dorothy today for you at the North Shields local studies in the library.  Hope this of interest to your research.  Note:  I have put words in brackets where I am not 100% certain what is written.

St George, Cullercoats
Entry No: 113
March 31st 1923
Jacob Chisholm Brunton & Dorothy Hamilton Hayhurst
His age: 21   Her age: 22
Bachelor and Spinster
He is recorded as a miner
His address: 1 Back Row
Her address: 1 (Esky?) Road, Sunderland
Fathers:
Joseph Brunton - Fisherman
Alixander Mayhurst - (Driver?) - Note this looks like Mayhurst even though Bride's surname is Hayhurst
Witnesses: Annie Brunton & Peter (Luckey?)
By Banns
All the above signed their names

I would also suggest to anyone researching to google a very helpful website called 'Margaret Hall genealogy' and to go on to the marriage link.  I would also suggest looking at the excellent website 'North East War Memorials Project' as I know there is a Brunton listed on there for North Tyneside.  This may or may not be one of your ancestors.  Also while I am 'plugging' for the NEWMP - I would highly recommend looking at this website for anyone with ancestors in the North East - they have an 'Every Name A Story' section which can cover local stories of individual people during the wars whether they were killed or survived. 

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Maurice Oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 July 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
According to my mothers Death Certificate her mothers maiden name was Dorothy Hazelhurst, and her married name was Dorothy Brunton  and sorry about the earlier post but her name was Hannah Glenndinning Stewartson and place of birth was Tynemouth, Fathers name was Jacob Brunton.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 July 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
There is a newspaper held at North Shields local studies in the North Shields library called the 'Whitley Seaside Chronicle and Visitors Gazette'.  This newspaper covered the Cullercoats Lifeboat Disaster in their Friday April 28th 1939 edition in a big front page news story.  Jacob Brunton is reported as a bowman of Simpson Street, Cullercoats and as one of the survivors who was taken to the infirmary. This is a very long and detailed article about the disaster.  Perhaps if you email the local studies one of the staff may be able to photo copy the article for you:

discover@northtyneside.gov.uk

In the same newspaper but dated Friday 5th May 1939 is a long article about the inquest.  The story is titled 'BOAT CAPSIZED BY HUGE UNEXPECTED SEA SURVIVORS' EVIDENCE AT INQUEST' According to this article 'Coxwain Brunton' had said ..."Look out, lads, here she comes" just before their boat was overturned. A witness later reported that Jacob Brunton (and others) appeared to be dead.
This is also an extremely long and detailed article which may be of interest to the descendants of those concerned.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 July 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
Someone called Hannah Glendinning married a Joseph Brunton at Holy Saviour Church in 1892.  If this is relevant to anyone - perhaps this record might be at the archives and some kindly RootsChat may be able to look this up?