Author Topic: Marriage of Rich and Elin Jones , pre 1794  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Rich and Elin Jones , pre 1794
« on: Monday 21 November 11 21:51 GMT (UK) »
My g-g-g-grandmother was called Gwen Jones, and though my only evidence of her finds her in Tywyn , she was apparently born in Trawsfynydd in 1794 .
Having, to my pleasant surprise, found trancsriptions of Traws BTs on the internet , I suspect that she was the daughter of Richard Jones and Eleanor  . This birth is the only one I can find that would give a Gwen Jones in that period. Another daughter, Ann , seems to have been born a few years later .
     Frustratingly, I cannot find any record of a marriage for Richard and Eleanor in Trawsfynydd in the preceding years . I assume the original BT from which the transcripts are taken do not contain farm names , otherwise they would be recorded . It was a pleasant surprise to find the birth record so available , an unpleasant one to find no mention of the parents' marriage .
          Is there a marriage of two matching people in adjoining parishes ? (I'm aware that Meirionnyddd marriage records are published) , or is there another solution that I should be looking for ?
     Gwen Jones married the sexton of Tywyn , Francis Williams , so I suspect that she might not have come from a non-conformist family .
   I'd be grateful for any advice or information, but it looks like a huge brick wall . Finding the parents was a bonus in itself in any case.

Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline nainmaddie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Rich and Elin Jones , pre 1794
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 11 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh

Trawsfynydd  records are held at Nat Lib. on your doorstep so to speak.

Fac. marriages1754 -1850  Births 1730 -1845  Both held at Dolgellau Records.

BT 's held at Nat Lib. 1742 - 1839  ,1887 -90
Before that there are some BT missing , odd ones which I can give you if you want them
GFHS have copy index 1754 -1837

I hope that helps your search.  Taken from Parish Registers of Wales.
Jefferiss,Hodges,Gill, Cornwell, Stallibrass,Shirreff, Foulkes (CAE) Foulke(DEN ) Roberts, Owen,Morgans, Jones++ Jenkins,Williams

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 11 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Huw

As you're not sure which parish they might have married in, I'd suggest spending £7 on a search of Dafydd Hayes's  North Wales Marriage Index via Genfair:

http://www.genfair.co.uk/supplier.php?sid=87

I've used it in the past  for some of my elusives  :)

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 11 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much for your suggestions. I actually picked up the information at the NL, but I'm afraid that the microfiches of the BTs are terribly difficult to decipher -you cannot tell which year some belong to.
They're not too keen on letting you see the originals now . I think the upsurge in family research has proved a bit of a strain for 200 year old documents !
    Would the marriage index (which I'd not heard of before , I must admit) include marriages pre 1837 ?
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 November 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Huw

Yes it does  :)

Dafydd has put all info from parish  records/BTs/etc. on his database.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***