Author Topic: Gledson of Bedlington  (Read 2680 times)

Offline sherekhan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gledson of Bedlington
« on: Tuesday 22 November 11 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, just need a bit of help with this one.  I have John Gledson b 1771 m Lydia Swan b 1775, Not sure where they were married or John's Parents, this is what I am looking for.  On the baptism of their children he is listed as a Miller native of Bedlington.  Most of his children were baptised in Bedlington but Lydia t6he 4th daughter was baptised in Horton, where it sayes her mum was of that parish.
Paul

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gledson of Bedlington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Baptism Bedlington:

John Gledson born 5 Nov 1770 baptised Christmas Day 1770 son of William and Isable, farmer, East Sligburn

All Isabella/Isabel etc entries were spelled "Isable" by whoever wrote in the parish record.

Marriage Bedlington:  William Gledson and Isable Swan by license 26 Jul 1770 wit: Robert Swan and Thomas Bolton (freq wit)

Later in 1771 there was a marriage of Jane Gledson and James Smyth--26 May with a William Gledson as witness

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I found more baptisms in Horton after daur #4 Lidia for this John and Lydia:

Jacob Gledson baptised 17 Oct 1814 s/o John and Lydia

Jane Gledston baptised 7 Jul 1816 d/o John and Lydia

Robert Swan Gledson and William Gledson both baptised 11 Oct 1818 sons of John and Lydia

Baptism Horton:

Lydia Swan baptised 6 Jun 1775 daur of Robert and Dorothy Swan, Cowpen

I don't know if these are yours but very well could be:

Burials Bedlington St. Cuthbert

Isabella Gledson, age 80, of East Slakeburn, buried 2 Sep 1822

Jane Gledson, age 80, of Horton, buried 1 Aug 1831

Robert Gledson, age 50, of Murton, buried 15 Mar 1830

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 20:13 GMT (UK) »
What is the earliest you have a child of John and Lydia Geldson?, where was that child baptised?  I don't want to cover ground you already have--plus it helps me find them without having to go through years of hand written records, written quite tiny on my bleary eyes

Janis

Offline sherekhan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I have the following children for John Gledson and Lydia/Lidia Swan:
Mary born 16/02/1799 bap 05/01/1800, John born 27/12/1802 bap 24/04/1803, Isabella born 26/02/1805 bap 02/06/1805, James Swan Gledson  born c1807 ?, Joseph Swan Gledson born 07/09/1808 bap 27/11/1808, all these in Bedlington plus another female but unknown when or who.  Lydia/Lidia born 04/11/1811 bap 05/01/1812 in Horton.
Paul

Offline HenryWood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, just need a bit of help with this one.  I have John Gledson b 1771 m Lydia Swan b 1775, Not sure where they were married or John's Parents, this is what I am looking for.  On the baptism of their children he is listed as a Miller native of Bedlington.  Most of his children were baptised in Bedlington but Lydia t6he 4th daughter was baptised in Horton, where it sayes her mum was of that parish.
Paul

Hi Paul,

There is a John Gledson, Miller, of Rivergreen Mill, Meldon (West of Morpeth, I believe) who died 02-07-1862. This may not be the actual John Gledson you are searching for but the name + Miller may point to something.

The details are in a list of Wills published online in a .pdf file on the www.northumberland.gov.uk site but whenever I try to copy the link to repost here it comes out corrupted.

I've added 2 screenshots, one from the actual .pdf file showing John Gledson's Will details, and the other showing how I found them. I imagine if you put the same details into Google you should arrive at the same page.

Good luck.

Offline sherekhan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
The john Gledston whose will is held resident at rivergreen mill is the son of John Gledston resident at Bebside mill .
I was unable to see the will, so will either have to travel there or ask for a copy.
Paul

ps sorry about reply......................