Author Topic: 64th Medium Regt RA  (Read 19473 times)

Offline normandy1944

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 64th Medium Regt RA
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 14 September 17 19:30 BST (UK) »
To all relatives searching for information on the 64th medium regiment and its soldiers I hope in the next few months to be in a position to get my uncles notes (from a 212 battery aspect) published . Its a really great read with a great deal of humour and dramatic action passages. I am trying to interest publishers at the moment. If no success will be self published as its ideal for relatives who want to know more on the unit. my uncle was William Holloway (holly or alva to fellow soldiers), his book covers enlistment at the start of the war, training at berkhamstead, deployment to Africa fighting the Italians, then breakout and escape driving over german lines heading for fuka then diverted to a place called alamein  where 64th fired that tremendous barrage, on via operation overlord d day , attached to 30 corps under gen brian horrocks via villers bocage  mont pincon, Arnhem, (this is where the 64 th were the unit to establish radio contact with johnny frosts paras , as prrviously mentioned by another contributor this lead to a request from gen brian urqhart to allow the 64th to wear the Pegasus patch on their uniform, shame to say not ratified by the war office. I have a Photostat of the letter to the 64th fom the general(sean connery in a bridge to far)! this is a terrific tale and I also have the regimental shield from the office (on my wall ) and battledress complete with 30 corps bull and elephant boys insignia. helmets medals etc . from the unit.  anyway hope to be able to get this info out there as some really interesting stuff there.

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 14 September 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Put me down for a copy
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline normandy1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 15 September 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
will do.!

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 18 September 17 05:23 BST (UK) »
Have you approached Pen and Sword in Barnsley? They seem to be the military history publisher of choice.

Offline ClementsCanonbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 12 October 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am looking for more information or contacts to do with my granddad's service. Specifially I would like to find out if he is in war diaries or perhaps just read them to get an idea of his life then. It says I need to know theatre of war to get the right ones but I am not really sure what this means.

We are lucky enough to have a copy of a newspaper article written about his TA unit in March 1945 which I thought might be of interest to you all.

He was part of a TA unit based in Offord road in Barnsbury, Islington. It lists the places they had been in the war:Now in Berlin via Tobruk, Syria, Eritrea, Greece, Crete, Tripoli, Tunis,Sicily, Normandy, Antwerp and Nijmegen.
It also lists the names of soldiers in the two troops A and B. He was in A troop along with T.L Adams, Sgt. A O Paterson, Sgt F.J Arscott, Bdr. Ibbotson, Bdr. J E Rist, L/bdr Cox, Gnr R.H Batson, Gnr Arthur John Clements (also know as Clem or Art - my grandad), Gnr G A Nutkins, Gnr R J Salter and a couple of other illegible names.

The article also says:
Along the coast to Tyre, Sidon & Beirut, with Montgomery fighting Rommel close to Tripoli, inspected by Churchill and Monty. Meddenine, then Mareth, Gabes, Sousse, Enfidaville to Tunis. Then Cape Bon peninsula against Afrika Korps then with 8th army to Sicily then Italy supporting 1st Italian landings then had a rest at Christmas 1943. June 8th 1944 they landed at Normandy, then Holland to the Rhine at Nijmegen. 1st to get wireless contact with 1st Airbone division at Arnheim.

His leave certificate says Klenze Germany 4th Jan 1946 having joined 3rd May 1939!

He was injured in 1942 according to a search I have done but it didn't give me any details.

I  know he had at least one operation/possible two whilst in the desert in North Africa and wondered if there would be any details on this anywhere.

Thanks - sorry about the long post!

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 13 October 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat,

Your best bet would to be to apply for his service record from https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records this will give you some basic details, places, medical history, general conduct, medal entitlement, etc........ It will take between 3 and 6 months though!

Another source would be the war diary, you may be able to view this at the Royal Artillery Museum at Woolwich.

As for the newspaper article, does it mention a Gnr C De'ath?

Regards

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 13 October 17 23:19 BST (UK) »
The RA Museum at Woolwich closed down sometime ago now.

War Diaries for this regiment will be at the National Archives in London covering the whole of WW2. I only have the Jan to Dec 1942 diary for this regiment.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 16 October 17 01:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chaps for the welcome and the info. I think my uncle has applied for his service record.

I will check the 'B' troop for De'ath for you when my uncle next visits.

To look at the war diaries: what information would I have to give? Is the regiment number enough?

Thanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have gotten hold of a copy of the article from my uncle although as it is rather old it is hard to read in parts.
Andrea, I have found a L/bdr Smith, F.E living at 64 Packington Street Islington.
Could that be your relative.
He is part of 'B' troop who came out of the TA drill hall at Offord road.