Author Topic: 64th Medium Regt RA  (Read 19439 times)

Offline Nelliedrongo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 64th Medium Regt RA
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Will send it now, when I saw the name Arthur Clements it rang a bell..I've photographed the reverse of the photo it's my dad's handwriting.

Offline ClementsCanonbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 00:13 GMT (UK) »
It’s just the best surprise. Having the message on it makes it special. Thanks so much for bothering to send it

Offline Nelliedrongo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I've got loads of his photos, I'll go through them to see if there are any more that would interest you. I have one of a glider landing mistakenly on their gun position at Arnhem. Cairo zoo, the pyramids and sphinx, crossing the Jordan, the snow in the Ardennes , Montgomery inspecting the troops...if there are any ones in particular that you'd like to see just say and I'll e.mail them.I have dad's pegasus cuff badge, original M.M.ribbon, his cap badge and cap, regimental tie, chrome artillery car badge, invitations to reunions etc. my brother has his medals. I even have a little Syrian (I think ) carving he brought home and a gold locket he got from an American soldier in exchange for a blanket.Lots of bits and pieces 😊

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nellie,

You can attach images to your RootsChat topics by clicking on the attach button  ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hosr98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 26 September 19 23:06 BST (UK) »
Dear Normandy1944, I was wondering how you were getting on with the publishing of your uncles diary? This would be of great interest to me. My great uncle was a man called Major Denis Duke. He was in the 212 battery and was captured in North Africa at Mersa Matruh. He then became a POW in Italy before escaping and walking 400 miles south and rejoining the Allies. He then became battery commander of 212 battery for the DDay landings. Any further colour to this story would be great.

Offline cardboard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 27 September 19 10:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Normandy1944, I was wondering how you were getting on with the publishing of your uncles diary? This would be of great interest to me. My great uncle was a man called Major Denis Duke. He was in the 212 battery and was captured in North Africa at Mersa Matruh. He then became a POW in Italy before escaping and walking 400 miles south and rejoining the Allies. He then became battery commander of 212 battery for the DDay landings. Any further colour to this story would be great.

Dear hosr98,

As an interested bystander, did your great uncle happen to escape around the time of the Italian armistice in September 1943. 

Offline hosr98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 27 September 19 21:09 BST (UK) »
Yes. I have a newspaper article stating that a Col. Mainwaring D.S.O had seen Denis and another officer on September 14th 100 miles north of Florence. I have looked up the POW camps in Italy of which there looks to have been about 26. A number of which are about 100 miles north of Florence! If I’m right in thinking 212battery were supporting a New Zealand division at Mersa Matruh before being surrounded by Romney’s army. I think the battery lost half it’s guns. On line one particular POW camp house a large detachment of New Zealander’s so I wonder whether it was that one he was in.

Offline cardboard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 06 October 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information.