Author Topic: Sarah THOMAS  (Read 4980 times)

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah THOMAS
« on: Wednesday 23 November 11 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information on Sarah Thomas born 1844 in Llanedy to parents Ann and David Thomas. Sarah appears on the 1871 census aged 27 years living with her brother David Thomas at Garnfach, Llanedy. Her occupation is domestic servant.

On the 1881 census there is a Sarah Davies born in 1844 at Llanelly, a widow with three children Henry born in 1871, David J born 1873 and Gwennie J born 1877 all born in Llanedy. I have found a marriage for a Sarah Thomas to a John Davies in 1873 at Llanelly and a death for a John Davies in 1877 at Llanelly. I wonder if John Davies had been a widower when Sarah married him which would account for the eldest son.

I am hoping someone may see something I am missing before I send for the marriage certificate for this couple.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pauline

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah THOMAS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 01:26 GMT (UK) »
The 1877 death reg will give John's age so have you checked the 1871 census for him and Henry?

If John is single in 1871 - don't rule out that Henry may have been Sarah's illegitimate son

If John is married but Henry is not on the 1871 - have you checked freebmd for a birth after the March qtr 1871 under both surnames

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have not been able to find Henry with his father on the 1871 census but have found a birth for Henry Thomas in 1871 in Llanelly so it is possible Henry is Sarah's illegitimate son.

The 1877 death for John Davies has his birth date of 1835 but I could not see which one he could be on the 1871 census.

I guess the marriage certificate is the only way to find out for sure.

Many thanks

Pauline

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 November 11 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pauline  :)

If you contact the register office at Llanelli or Carmarthen, they can check whether Sarah was of Llanedy Parish, rather than somewhere completely different like Pembrey.

Best wishes
Morgan

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 November 11 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Morgan,

I have ordered the marriage certificate so I will wait and see if it is the correct one first.

Pauline

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just an update on the latest certificate. This was not the correct Sarah so the mystery of what became of her continues.

Pauline

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pauline  :)

What a shame that it wasn't the "right" Sarah. If she married, it could well have been in Llandilofawr district (but in Llandebie sub-district). Carmarthen register office can check for the correct district and Parish as they have local knowledge and their records are organised in a way which facilitates the search. Of course, Sarah may have died, or even moved to another Parish, e.g. the neighbouring Parish of Llandilotalybont (Glamorgan) has a Sarah Thomas age abt 40 born Llanedy on the 1881, at Bryn House, working for Lewis Matthews.

RG11 Piece 5350 Foilio 24 Pg 24

I helped someone with ancestors near Garnfach, Llanedy, and the records were in Llandebie sub-district. If you order any certificates, specify Garnfach, Llanedy.

Kind Regards
Morgan 

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 04:29 GMT (UK) »

Hi Morgan,

I think I will give this one up for the moment. I had thought Sarah had died in Sep 1878 in Llanelly but the Carmarthen register office said this Sarah was not a domestic servant and they didn't think she was the one I was looking for. It is such a common name and as you said she could very well be living in a different area.

Thanks again

Pauline

Offline temiro tawa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 12 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian,   check this out............... in The 1901 Census, John Price Davies mother is ...... Sarah P. Thomas. They are living in the town of Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales.  Parish of Saint Mary Tenby in Liberty.   Her family consists of........

Sarah P Thomas    44
Mary L Davies    20
John P Davies    15
Kathleen P Davies    13
Gladys M Thomas    10
Gilbert A Thomas    6
Muriel E Thomas    5