Author Topic: Catherine Welsh  (Read 1825 times)

Offline JunoH

• RootsChat Extra
  • William James Hiddleston Wilson
    • View Profile
Catherine Welsh
« on: Wednesday 23 November 11 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help with this.

My 4th great grandmother, Catherine Welsh was born in Sanquhar between c1783 and 1796.

On 12 March 1815 she was working as a Servant at Nethercairn, Kirkconnel and gave birth to her daughter, Jane Broadfoot.  The birth record (Kirkconnel) says "Jane Braidfoot Natural Daughter of David Braidfoot and Catherine Welsh, servants Nethercairn was baptized on the 12th day of March, One thousand eight hundred and fifteen"

Catherine Welsh and David Broadfoot (b. 1788 Closeburn), never married.  He later married Agnes Ewart, with whom he had a daughter (Susan Broadfoot) in 1834.

In the 1841 Census Catherine is enumerated living with her daughter Jane and son-in-law James McCall at Eliock Bridge, Sanquhar as  "Catherine Welsh, born about 1796,  Sanquhar"

In the 1851 Census Catherine is enumerated, still living with Jane & James McCall at Pyetscleugh (aka Eliock Bridge), Sanquhar as "Cathrain Welish, Mother-in-law, born about 1783, at Sanquhar"

After that, nothing.  No death record.  No MI in Sanquhar (as far as I know), and no birth record for a Catherine Welsh in Sanquhar.  I've tried Kat*, Kate, Cath*, and W?lsh, W?lch, W*sh and any other permutation I can think of.  Still nothing.

I've read that, due to religious upheavals in the Church of Scotland, Sanquhar parish records were a shambles in the years leading up to civil registration, and am starting to think that I can't find her death simply because it was never recorded in those unsettled times.  It doesn't help that the 2 census records show her birth as 1783 OR 1796!!  :-\

Any ideas?  Anyone?
Wilson, Hiddleston, Shankland, McCall, Dickson, Carruthers, Grierson: Dumfriesshire.
Duguid, Strachan, Kellas, Mitchell: Glenmuick / Aboyne / Bellabeg / Logie Coldstone / Peterhead.