Author Topic: Passenger List HMS Serapis 1869  (Read 2055 times)

Offline cailean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Passenger List HMS Serapis 1869
« on: Monday 09 May 05 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Does anyone have access to the passenger list for HMS Serapis on her voyage from Portsmouth UK to Quebec Canada, Departing April 27 1869 and arriving in Canada May 15 1869 with 707 passengers (326 males, 166 females and 215 children under 12).
I shouldlike to know if any or all  the following persons are included on the passenger list:

Thomas Jackson male aged about 23 years
His wife Charlotte C. Jackson aged about 26 years
Their son Charles Edw. Liddell Jackson aged about 6 years
Their daughter Charlotte Serapis Soady Jackson born on board HMS Serapis.

Although I managed to find on the internet the full passenger list of HMS Crocodile, another troopship that sailed about the same time, I cannot find a passenger list for HMS Serapis but believe it may exist on microfiche and CDROM. Is there anyone who has access and can check for me please? I am in Nottingham UK and understand that the records are held in Canada (although this was a Royal Navy ship on loan to the Government at the time for transporting emigrants (mainly unemployed Portsmouth dockworkers) to Canada.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Colin (username cailean)

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger List HMS Serapis 1869
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 05 23:16 GMT (UK) »
You're in luck, this passenger list will be on microfilm. Unfortunately the records before 1925 are not indexed. But you've got an exact arrival date so you're okay

The National Archives of Canada (NAC) holds immigration records from 1865 to 1935. 

Ships are on the reel, in order of arrival. You can find the details at this URL

http://www.archives.ca/02/020202_e.html

If you want to order filmed passenger lists a  list of NAC microfilm numbers for passenger lists to Canada 1865-1922 can be found at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/filmnos_can1865.shtml
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore