Author Topic: Sawyer help  (Read 5893 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sawyer help
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 18:02 GMT (UK) »
that looks good

Just noticed the father of the  family we are posting (hope it's correct one )- Robert -is listed in 1861/71/81 census as "Sayer" Wonder whether they are Sawyer or Sayer???
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully dylan will be online later and can confirm whether we're on the right lines here, but the name variation might explain why they've been hard to track down.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 22:19 GMT (UK) »
the name variation might explain why they've been hard to track down.

Rambler

....and to top it all it looks like Amelia's marriage reg is in the name Taylor!!!!!!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 1dylan1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, I'm amazed by the fantastic response, thanks everyone!

It definately looks like the same family reading the responses and the name variation of SAYER does seem consistent with research to date.  I would love to view the records you have all managed to unearth but cannot find them.  I'm registered on Ancestry but don't know how to search using reference numbers, do I need to go to another site to do this?

To date I've only been adding information to my tree as and when I find it but now I thought I would try to resolve a family myth.  My paternal grandmother Phyllis Irene HOLMES used to say that they would get free circus tickets when the Circus Sangers (George Lord Sanger/John Lord Sanger) came to town (Newbury) as they were related.

This in mind the SAWYER name seemed to be the logical way to go.

Offline 1dylan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 23:44 GMT (UK) »
that looks good

Just noticed the father of the  family we are posting (hope it's correct one )- Robert -is listed in 1861/71/81 census as "Sayer" Wonder whether they are Sawyer or Sayer???
Suz

Ooh just noticed that as well, they seemed to have changed from SAYER to SAWYER in the 1891 census, missed that one completely!

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 November 11 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm registered on Ancestry but don't know how to search using reference numbers

On the main search page, select "UK Census Collection" (in the box "Browse Records" on the right).  At the bottom of the census search form you will see boxes marked "Piece", "Folio" and "Page #" where you can fill in the reference. 
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 November 11 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Just as an aside - interested to read your reference to Sangers circus.

Many years ago I lived in a road called Sangers Drive (in Surrey) and this was said to be named after Sangers Circus who used to come every year and use the field (where the road was subsequently built) to graze the circus animals.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandra c

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 November 11 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
    I have Sawyer in my family and i have found that the Sayer and the Sawyer are the same family. My Sayer , Sawyer family are form Aston Tirrold Hagbourne and cholsey area in Berskhire
    Sandy

Offline 1dylan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 November 11 02:47 GMT (UK) »
I think they're at the same address, listed as SAYER in 1901- RG13; Piece 1122; Folio 99; Page 7

(Mary E isn't with her parents.)

Rambler

Thanks for that, I have managed to locate them once again.  This time they appear to have the surname SAGER!