Author Topic: Strood, Kent, Poor Law Union  (Read 20642 times)

Offline helburt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Strood, Kent, Poor Law Union
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
The Bertie and Minnie ELLIOTT that I found in the 1911 census in Dartford are potentially different children.  They are named ELLIOTT and are with their parents - Josiah and Minnie ELLIOTT .  Bertie is slightly the wrong age for our Herbert - being 13 in 1911.  I initially tried to find a link between this ELLIOTT family and Eliza COLLINS' ELLIOTTS , in case she was the 'aunt' to this Minnie and Bertie.  No link found so far. 

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 15:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, this family were at Sutton at Hone in 1901 census, and Herberts age is not right that's why I discarded them although Sutton at Hone is in the Dartford registration district.
Elliot, Elliott, Kent, Strood Workhouse, Farningham Home for Little Boys

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 26 April 12 13:29 BST (UK) »
The creed register (ref: WIc/, microfilm 167) shows that Reginald Elliott was admitted from Strood Intra on 11 August 1902, and discharged on 27 July 1904. The name of the informant is given as Mrs Elliott. The same page of the creed register shows the admission of two other Elliotts, Bertie and Minnie, who were admitted on 6 March 1902 from Strood Intra and also discharged on 27 July 1904

Has anybody actuallly checked the discharge register for 27 Jul 1904 to see if there is a note of where the children were discharged to?  I'm thinking Minnie here as the above implies that Bertie and Minnie were discharged on the same day.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 26 April 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
I am led to believe that the archives unfortunately do not have the admission and discharge register covering 1904.

The discharge date came from the creed register.

Martyn

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 26 April 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, I read that the information was from the creed register ............ such a shame that the discharge register for that period doesn't appear to survive then :(

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 19 May 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
I have received the birth cert for Reginald Alfred Banks, anyone like to comment

Registry was 1898 Greenwich East

Martyn

Offline helburt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 20 May 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
Seems to me that Minnie Elliot was the mother of Bertie, Minnie and Reginald which is why they became Elliot when they were placed in the workhouse.  Can we now be certain that the boy Reginald Elliot in the Workhouse/Farningham Home became Reginald Patrick Elliot who was called up for the Army in 1917?

Personally I think there's a lot going for it - i.e.
1.  Army record says Birthplace - Strood, although Reginald Banks was born in Greenwich, the family appeared to be back in Strood fairly soon after that.
2.  Army record states - enlisted 26 March 1917 - states age on enlistment 19 years, (dash) months, if he was born on 9 March, he would have been 19 years and a couple of weeks.  Of course he may not have known his birthday and just knew he was about 19.
3.  Army record states he was a bootmaker's assistant.  The Farningham record of Reginald's release has him leaving in 1914 to go to the American Repairing Company at 393 Edgware Rd.  The Post Office directory of 1914 has a bootmaker, L Radenti operating at 393 Edgware Rd. (couldn't find anything on the American Repairing Co).  Reg then goes back to Farningham and leaves again to go to Messrs Pocock Bros, 235 Southwark Bridge Rd.  Pocock Bros were Boot Manufacturers with a factory at 235 Southwark Bridge Rd in 1914 (Post Office Directory).
4.  Army record lists Herbert as Brother - next of kin.

So it would seem that Frederick Banks had the first child Frederick with 'Eliza', the next 3 with Minnie, then the next 3 with Catherine, who he married in 1901.  Interestingly, Catherine is with another partner, Edward Terry in 1911, with another child, while her own children are with Frederick.  Catherine married Edward Terry in 1913 after Frederick dies in 1912.

It would be interesting to find out if Frederick Banks the first child was also placed in the Workhouse in 1902 with the other children (it seems his mother died in 1899).  When we enquired we were only looking for Elliots, and perhaps he would have gone in as a Banks (or even under his mother's maiden name if she wasn't married to Fred Banks, which we don't know).

I'd like to know what happened to Minnie Elliot - in 1901 there is a Minnie Elliot working in a Workhouse in Coventry, born Ireland and the right age that I can't track backwards to eliminate her.

Any comments?????

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 21 May 12 09:53 BST (UK) »
I have sent for Birth Certs of Frederick, Herbert and Minnie which may help further. these should be wih me in a few days.

There does not seem to be much on any marriages apart from Fredericks marriage to Catherine Upton in 1901.

Martyn

Offline helburt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 21 May 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
Excellent.  Frederick's b cert should give us Eliza's maiden name and may help to find a marriage, if there is one.  Is the marriage between Frederick and Catherine Upton on CityArk?  Would be interesting to see if he's a widower or a batchelor.