Author Topic: The Kealy family of Gowran  (Read 4748 times)

Offline ian gartlan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Kealy family of Gowran
« on: Wednesday 23 November 11 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to track down the Kealy Family of Gowran.

I am descended from Margaret Kealy who was born in Gowran in Kilkenny in 1847 to Patrick Kealy and Johanna (Judy) O'Meara. 

She had a brother Patrick, and there is a photo of a Richard Kealy who may have been a brother or cousin.  Margaret and her brother Patrick emigrated to Australia and she married a John Fitzpatrick (also born in Gowran) in Victoria in 1870.

I have found a little bit in the Gowran parish records so far, but not a lot.  And have found a  "Wikipedia" reference to Kealy's in Gowran as providing 6 of the 18 Burgesses for the town when the Charter of Incorporation was granted in 1688.

Regards

Ian Gartlan
ALLEN: Acrise, Kent; COURT: Acrise, Kent; DOWN: Glastonbury, Somerset; FITZPATRICK: Gouran, Kilkenny; GARTLAN/D: Monaghan/Louth/Meath/Down; GOULDSBURY: Tullamore, Offally; GREEN: Kildare; HOBBS: Bristol, Avon; KEALY: Gouran Kilkenny; KITTERICK: Meath/Monaghan; McMAHON: Ardee, Louth; OMEARA: Gouran, Kilkenny; PICKFORD: Somerton, Somerset; WINDMILL: Glastonbury, Somerset;

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Re: The Kealy family of Gowran
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 11 19:55 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Ian

I've got some information for you of the Kealy Family in Gowran, Co. Kilkenny.

For children of Patrick Kealy and Johanna O' Meara..I found four matches for you:

Mary Kealy 1832 Gowran, Co. Kilkenny
Patrick Kealy 1833 Gowran, Co. Kilkenny
Margaret Kealy 1843 Gowran, Co. Kilkenny
Catherine Kealy 1846 Gowran, Co. Kilkenny

There's an 1897 death for a Patrick Kealy in Gowran. However couldn't find a death for a Johanna Kealy in Gowran but there is three deaths for a Johanna Kealy in Co. Kilkenny: 1885 in Castlecomer, 1898 in Kilmoganny and 1902 in Knocktopher.

These births and deaths came from www.rootsireland.ie. Its a free site to join and search but costs €5 to buy a record but if you buy the births altogether, you get a discount on it

There's 16 results coming up for the surname Kealy on the 1901 Census of Ireland and 18 results coming up on the 1911 Census of Ireland.

Here's a link for the census records that you can search on http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

For this Richard, there's an 1814 birth coming up in Gowran..so could be a cousin of Margaret.

Hope that this helps you in some way

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 August 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
There is a James KEALLY buried with his two wives Ellen NASH and Mary WHITE dated 1646 in St. Marys Church, Main St, Gowran.  :)    www.irishantiquities.bravehost.com/kilkenny/gowran/gowranchurch.html   

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 15 09:40 GMT (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0978

Gowran RC parish records - free

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
From book "In the Shadow of the Steeple"  no 12

The Graveyard and Memorials of the Collegiate Church of St Marys, Gowran
by Mary Casteleyn and Bernie Kirwan

page 54

Piers Keally of Gawran borges died 1st Jan 1648
wife Alson daughter of Nicholas Hackett

page 56
Nicholaus Kealy
ex vita migravit 3tio maii AD 1801 aetatis vero suae 53.