Author Topic: Alice HUDSON Murder 1913 - Alice's Grandmother Julia REILY  (Read 22053 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alice HUDSON Murder 1913 - Alice's Grandmother Julia REILY
« Reply #36 on: Monday 05 December 11 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Richard is buried at Preston Cemetery:

CARLILE RICHARD age 60yrs
Burial: 24/06/1941
Area: F    
Grave No: 04747    

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 05 December 11 09:22 GMT (UK) »
John Bernard is at Springvale Cemetery:

CARLYLE JOHN BERNARD
Date of Service: 11/07/1933
Burial Type: BURIED
Location Details: ROMAN CATHOLIC, MONUMENTAL, COMPARTMENT C SECTION 9 GRAVE 39

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 05 December 11 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Julia died in 1953:

BROWN JULIA d. 1953 MANLY #16809
Parents: William & Julia

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 09 December 11 09:29 GMT (UK) »
HI,
Brendan, I presume you have the marriage certificate for Margaret May in 1906, what does it say about Margaret's father?
I have wondered if John Carlile actually went back to Ireland to die there. There are a few other John Carlile deaths in Australia but nothing that really points to it being this particular John Carlile.

Richard Hudson, husband of Annie Carlile and father of Alice, also disapears off the map, before Alice's murder in 1913. I have wondered if Richard [senior] not junior who was killed in WW1 served and was killed in the Boer War, there are no records though. John Carlile on the other hand would have been Sixty something in the 90's so it's doubtfull that he went off to war.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 10 December 11 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Been "off the air" for a couple of days, so thanks again to all who have taken an interest providing information and suggestions.

I haven't got a copy of Margaret Carlile's marriage certificate, but that might provide a clue as to whether her father John Carlile was still alive when she married in 1906. If all else fails, I will give that a shot.

This reminds me of another search which went on for an ancestor on my own family tree.

My great-great grandfather Private Robert Banks (British Army), arrived in Australia around 1841, spent time in Tasmania as a prison guard, then in the South Australian police force, before settling around the Bendigo area. Around 1866 or therabouts, he just disappeared off the scene leaving his wife to raise the children. For many years what became of him was a complete mystery, until someone finally came across his admission to a Bendigo "Benevolent" asylum around 1891. He died there in 1898 and was buried in an unmarked grave at the White Hills cemetery.

Theory is the marriage broke down, probably alcohol related, and g-g grandfather Robert was not spoken of again. Those of his children who survived into adulthood eventually lived productive and reputable lives and it is thought it was better not to say to much about their father.

Sorry to get off the topic - but it just shows what can happen.

Brendan

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 10 December 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brendan,
I was going through my certificates and thought I had found another one for you, I have another Carlile marriage certificate among my own collection.
Unfortunately it is for Ellen Mary Carlile, daughter of Robert Carlile, John's brother. ellen married Thomas Williams in Chiltern in 1886, she is described as a lady from Bungil, 17 years old, her father Robert is a farmer. The Victorian certificates seem to be very well detailed from this period so it may be worth $18 to buy Margaret's marriage cert.
mum mum

Something ese that you need to be careful of is that John Carlile had a nephew John, born in 1872 who was living at Granya, possibly some of the newspaper mentions of John Carlile in the early 90's could be this younger John.
There is also a variation of the spelling of Carlile on the electoral rolls in Indi in the early parts of the 20th century, even members of the one family are spelt diffenently on the roll. Carlile, Carlyse, and Carlisle.
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 15 December 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Still looking for information on John Carlile and dug out the following today.

You will see from an earlier post of mine that John Carlile was the first of the two Carlile brothers to come to Australia, followed by Robert.

Given that John came for a look around, it wasn't likely that he was an assisted immigrant. Also, given that Robert was sent to fetch him home, he would have been unassisted as well.

Following two unassisted arrivals were both in Melbourne.

John Carlisle, aged 24, on the "Australia" in 1852
Robert Carlisle, aged 21, on the "Red Jacket" in 1854

Dates and ages are somewhere around the mark, although it would make John a bit older than he had claimed to be at the time of his wedding and at the birth of his youngest child, Margaret May. Also doesn't quite fit Robert's age at his death in 1903, but not that far out.

Can anyone comment on the possibility of people making their way from Melbourne to Albury Wodonga area in those days? I had been thinking they were more likely to have arrived in Sydney. We know they were both in NSW at Table Top, just north of Albury, prior to taking up land at Granya around 1875.

Finally, would the microfiche copies of the original shipping records for these arrivals provide me with any more information?

Brendan 

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 16 December 11 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, If you can lay your hands on the original records it will have loads of great information. Parents names, wether Alive or deceased, port of departure, how long there, birthplace, age., wether any relatives in country (important in Robert case)

If they were unassisted any companions. Very worthwhile.

If you have found the link it should have where to send off for cert copies?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 16 December 11 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Whoops forgot the link :-[ :-[

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/

I tried to modiy my post and it spat it back 8)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads