Author Topic: MUNRO(E), Christy B. abt 1816  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Backie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MUNRO(E), Christy B. abt 1816
« on: Thursday 24 November 11 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I have a brick wall, she is my great-great-grandmother, Christy MUNRO(E), she stated on her immigration papers at Sydney, Australia that she was 24 when she left Scotland in 1838.  She also stated that she was a native of Dornoch and her parents were John MUNRO(E) a farmer of the parish of Losie (perhaps Logie) and Margaret UNKNOWN his wife.

If SKS could help me find details of her and her parents I would be very grateful.

Regards,

Warren BACKHOUSE
Canberra, Australia
Backhouse - Yorkshire; Everson - Suffolk; Little - Somerset; Rigby - Lancashire/Cheshire; Sinclair - Galway, Ireland; Munro(E) - Scotland

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MUNRO(E), Christy B. abt 1816
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 11 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Warren,  I suppose you noticed the IGI record of the christening of a Christy Munro on 8 April 1816 at Farr, Sutherland. Parents: John Munro and Margaret Campbell ?

I couldn't make out the name of the parish but the only one starting with "Lo" appears to be Loth.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Backie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 11 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying IanB,

Yes I have seen that christening entry, but I would not think that people would move around very much in those days, Farr being on the north west side of Sutherland and dornoch being on the south east side.

As far as that parish goes i have been looking at the hand writing in the sample given and I noticed the "g" in daughter and the "g" in the parish name, they look the same so it could be Logie. But then I noticed the first "s" in Rosshire which is the same, does that make it Losie ???

I am at a loss as to what is what.

Regards,

Warren BACKHOUSE
Canberra, Australia
Backhouse - Yorkshire; Everson - Suffolk; Little - Somerset; Rigby - Lancashire/Cheshire; Sinclair - Galway, Ireland; Munro(E) - Scotland

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 11 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Warren,
I think it is Logie, and there is a Logie Easter and a Logie wester in Ross-shire. So, perhaps they were from Ross-shire rather than Sutherland?
IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 November 11 15:31 GMT (UK) »
1841 Census - Pitmaduthy, Logie Easter,

John Munro           55   Agric Labourer  b Ross & Cromarty
Margaret Munro   60                                       "
Ann Munro           45                                       "
Catharine Munro   30                                       "