Author Topic: Halifax Bluecoat school  (Read 8774 times)

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax Bluecoat school
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 November 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Malcolm... will do. I frequently visit your site-it's a great help tp us all.

charlotte

Offline janem46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 January 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi and Happy New Year

I dont know if anybody else is still following this topic. I have only just found it. I think  my great x 2 grand aunt Olive Oates attended this Blue Coats  in the 1841 census when she was 8 years old. The headmaster was a Joseph ? and his wife Lydia. This is helpful as it suggests that she was an orphan and as I thought both her parents Joseph and Martha had died by then.  She had a sister Fanny who was about 2 years older than Olive and was sent (I think) to Wike hall on Wyke Common is Birstall. I am guessing that the Overseers of the Poor were caring for the children after both parents had died. Cant find their brothers Hiram b1825 or George b 1816  though-- ideas would be welcome.
Best wishes Jane

Offline oldun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 October 11 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I don't know if anyone is still interested in this topic, have only just come across it by accident.  I was at the Blue Coat School, in Halifax, from 1937 to 1943 or thereabouts. I have no knowledge of Mr Maylor except by hearsay as I left before his time. Miss Quayle was the Matron when I was there.

As mentioned, it was an orphanage for up to 20 boys and 20 girls, although I don't think it ever achieved that number.  It was originally situated near Halifax Parish Church before it moved to its last home on Harrison Road.  It had facilities for a number of Almshouses too which formed two wings to the school itself.  The Blue Coat School itself was set back and parallel to Harrison Road with the Almshouses joined to each end of the School and extending down to Harrison Road.

The picture below is a copy of a Courier Photograph which was taken shortly after my arrival at the Blue Coats. I am on the front row second from the left.  It was taken on the fron steps of the School and on the occasion of a visit by the Mayor of Halifax, at the time.

I can give further details of the school, if required, either on line or privately.  Roy

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Couldn't help noticing the shine on the kid's shoes, I wonder how many kids today would have a shine on their school shoes to match them, those that turn up in "proper" shoes of course.  ;D

Regards,
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline temps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 December 22 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I know this is dated but I might be able to add to it.  Have just got a 1921 census record for my maternal grandmother, and she is at Blue Coats School, Halifax.  What is noticeable with the page that she is on is that all the children have one or more parents deceased, eldest was 13, youngest 8, 14 children on that page.