Author Topic: Does anyone have any information on Francis KIFT 1854 Georgeham please..  (Read 5753 times)

Offline Repro5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have any information on Francis KIFT 1854 Georgeham please..
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
I have been trying to find information online for Thomas Kift 1835 who maybe died before 1860. He had a son Francis. My 3rd great grandmother did not name a father on my 2nd great grandfather's birth certificate and a DNA test I have taken shows I am related to the Kifts so I am trying to build a possible story as to who it may be. Thomas was living in Mortehoe when he and his wife, Mary, married, which I also where my grandmother was living. I came across your post here and wondered if you ever found where he disappeared to as there are no records for him or his wife after their marriage and Francis went to live with his grandparents.
Looking forward to any further info you may be willing to share.
Best wishes,
Debbie

Offline Repro5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 February 22 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello, It has been a long time since this post was made but I think Francis' father might have been my great, great grandfather. Have you had any luck finding any information? I would love to hear anything you are willing to share! Thank you. Debbie

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 February 22 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Repro5.

Welcome to RootsChat :) Patricia has been online since you last post, I am sorry that she had not replied yet, I will remind her for you.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 February 22 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah,

Sorry I haven't replied but I have received no notice of your request until today.

Re Thomas Kift b1835 and Mary Ann Hannah Collamore b 1836

Thomas and Mary are the great great grandparents of my husband Ian. Their son Francis (Frank) married Helen French, they had one child, a daughter named Annie Lauder Kift. Annie married James Lilley Valentine they were my husbands grandparents.

I am afraid I have very little to relate regarding Thomas and Mary as they disappeared between the years of their son Francis' birth in 1854 and the census of 1861.

They married on 19th July 1854 just 2 months prior to the birth of Francis (Frank) on 10th September 1854.

As far as my research shows there were no more children,

I also checked through ships passages for emigration but found nothing. It isn't helped by the fact that the spelling of Kift is different through the generations.

1851 Census Sample:
Preview
Address: Knowl, Knowl
Enumeration District: Braunton Barnst
County: Devonshire
 Mary Keift Braunton Barnst,  Braunton, Devonshire, England Female 55
 George Keift Braunton Barnst,  Braunton, Devonshire, England Male 25
 Samuel Keift Braunton Barnst,  Fremington, Devonshire, England Male 60
 Thomas Keift Braunton Barnst, Braunton, Devonshire, England Male 16

Thomas was the youngest son and still at home at the time of the 1851 census.

Regarding Frank:

1881 - Frank is in Scotland a boarder in Rosebank Building, Main Street, Cambuslang, Lanark, his occupation... Clerk in the Steelworks, the head of the family is recorded as Lorn Cameron, age 30 and Stocktaker in the Steelworks.

At the time of his marriage to Helen French, Frank is 30 years old, (giving a DOB  of 1858) he is living at 165 St Georges Rd Glasgow.

Extensive research has found that although found to be living in Scotland Frank was born in  Georgeham Devon, his parents were in fact Thomas Kift and Mary Ann Hannah Collamore, there is a birth certificate in confirmation.

Francis (Frank) lived with grandparents Samuel Kieft and Mary Coneybear from an early age.

There are two recorded Frank Kifts (one named Francis) claiming to be born around 1858 in Braunton, Devon. One marries and his life is recorded through the Census, this Frank is aged 2 at the 1861 census living with his parents Richard and Elizabeth Kift.

The other is 'our' Francis (Frank) the grandson of Samuel Kieft, a Farmer and is recorded in the census 1861 aged 8... b Georgham. Samuel was a Farmer of 17 Acres, Mary was named Coneybear prior to marriage (which took place 11th March 1815) (information taken from - ‘Descendents of William Kieft of Devon, England’ )......

I would be interested to know your connection, you may have discovered some facts I have missed.

Regards Patricia

PS. Where did you have your DNA test undertaken, we used My Heritage and Living DNA for Ian, Ians brother used Ancestry, if you used either of these we should have a connection if related.
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Repro5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 February 22 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia, Thank you so much for your reply!
Your information is exactly what I have.
I did my DNA through Ancestry so yes I should have shared DNA with Ian's brother. I will go and search now!!! I will be back.....!!
Debbie

Offline Repro5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 February 22 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I have more than 6 matches called Ian - please could you give me his user name or full name? Not sure if you could private message this?
Thanks, Debbie

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 10:47 GMT (UK) »
PS
me again... if you message or email me your full name I will scroll through Hugh's DNA matches

Patricia X
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.