Author Topic: John Thomas of Underfoot Hill, St. Issells  (Read 2037 times)

Offline rickjt62

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Thomas of Underfoot Hill, St. Issells
« on: Friday 25 November 11 13:40 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Yes, I know that every other residence had a "John Thomas" of one definition or another but I have the misfortune to have a 3 X great grandfather christened this

Last known living in the 1841 Census at Underfoot Hill, parish of St. Issells

Married Hannah Cole at Begelly on 30 Oct, 1830 at Begelly Church - the Cole family came from Thomas Chapel

John had died by the 1851 Census when his widow was still living at Underfoot Hill with her children

By 1861 she had moved to Blaenafon, Monmouthshire

I am at a loss as to when John Thomas died or where he would be likely to be buried as I can find no record of Underfoot Hill to ascertain it's whereabouts

There was also a son, also called John Thomas who was baptised at Begelly on 16 Jan, 1834 but may have died by the 1841 Census

If anyone can help, I would be eternally grateful

Rich

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomas of Underfoot Hill, St. Issells
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 11 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 11 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Rich

Underfoot Hill was (is?) a small-holding on the north of the road west from Stepaside towards what is now the village of Kilgetty (although Kilgetty didn't exist as a settlement here at the time).

There's a burial for John Thomas at St Issells church on the 29/7/1845 aged 44, residence Underfoot Hill.

He is listed in the tithe award for St Issells dated 30/9/1842 holding 7 acres from the Picton Castle estate, one of the largest landowners in the area. If you visit the Pembrokeshire Record Office or the National Archives at Kew you can check the tithe map and award to locate Underfoot Hill more precisely.

I did some work on the Picton estate rentals sometime back (held at the National Library of Wales) and these show that his widow continued to rent the same land until at least 1854, the last rental I transcribed.

As a piece of supposition...I wonder if the burial of John Thomas aged 1 at Begelly on the 20/12/1835, residence Wooden, St Issells, is the son who is missing in the 1841 census. Middle Hill (the residence at the time of the 1834 baptism) is very close to Wooden along the Tenby road and I have come across examples of these placenames being interchangeable.

Jon

Offline rickjt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 November 11 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Rosie & John

John - it appears that Hannah and her children came to Blaenafon at around 1854-1856 which would tie in with your record of her @ Underfoot Hill

Her eldest son Thomas Cole Thomas married in Blaenafon in 1856 with my 2xggf marriying in Blaenafon in 1858

Although I have been to St Issells Church on several occasions I failed to find this information

I have a note going way back that says that John Thomas was the s/o John & Sarah Thomas of a place called "Harry's Tump" and was baptised at St Issells on 4 Jan, 1807 which I probably picked up when I visited

I seldom get the chance to go there so your help is appreciated

Thank you
Rich

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 November 11 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Rich

I doubt there's a gravestone for John Thomas; as you have no doubt seen, the survival rate for pre-1850 stones at St Issells is very poor. However, his burial is recorded in the parish burial register held at the record office at Haverfordwest.

Harry's Tump is/was a small-holding of abt 20 acres 100 yards or so to the west of Hean Castle on the road to Stepaside. The freehold was owned by the Hean Castle estate. I am interested in your note about an 1807 reference to Harry's Tump as the earliest reference I have to it is in the 1830s when it was farmed by Lewis and then his son John Thomas (not your's!)

Jon

Offline rickjt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 November 11 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Jon

I have a feeling that this baptism record I found for John Thomas in 1807 (Harry's Tump) may refer to the John Thomas that was at Harry's Tump in the 1830's not my John Thomas.

However, I have traced back to my records and indeed it was listed from records I saw whilst in St Issells back in the late 1980's or early 1990's - maybe the records hadn't been deposited at that time?

I am sending for a death cert for John Thomas as I have found his death registered in the Narberth district

Now, what can you tell me about Thomas Chapel?  ;)

Regards
Rich

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 22 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hello
Have you considered St. Issells Haroldston as an alternative; that is, just south-east out Haverfordwest?
The Will of James Rees of Underfoot Hill, St. Issells was a collier  who died and left 3 freehold leases of Underfoot hill to his wife Elizabeth 27 Apr 1802 that were the hold of Sir. Richard Phillips, then after her death to a son Samuel.

My Rees lot were Derby farm leaseholders, a property just west of the old St. Issells Haroldston parish Church in early 1800's to 1837.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 May 22 02:05 BST (UK) »
I may withdraw my thought of where Underfoot Hill, St. Issells may have been.

I tried to look at the Parish Register for St. Issells that contains the bp. of Samuel Rees, son of James Rees 6 Nov 1774, and the front page of the Parish Register is a mess and difficult to read. No suggestion that is was Parish of St. Issells Haroldston near Haverfordwest.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End