Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Park
« on: Friday 25 November 11 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I’m having troubles locating the birth certificate of my great great grandfather Joseph Park[/i] He died in Galashiels at the age of 62 in 1924.  His father was George Park and his mother was Isabella Park, nee Wait.  On one census it says he was born in Palacehill, Roxburgh but another census says Ancrum Roxburgh.Also, I can not locate the death certificate of my great great grandmother, his wife, Jane Donaldson, born 11 November 1863 in Selkirk to James Donaldson and Jane Tweedie Donaldson.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
BordersLass
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Park
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 11 20:06 GMT (UK) »
George and Isabella married in Edinburgh as per the IGI

The IGI also shows Joseph's birth as 26.11.1861 Ancrum

Did you not check the IGI first?

PARENT SEARCH ON IGI

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Also - the IGI Pilot website

https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

Input fathers name and surname and  mothers christian name  (in Scotland - also input mothers maiden name if known)

REGION – select British Isles from the menu

COUNTRY – select one or “All countries”

COUNTY (will appear when you select COUNTRY)  – select whichever matches what you know about the family

Click SEARCH

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 11 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

I'm trying IGI but I'm not having any luck.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?  I now have Joseph Park's birth certificate, got it on SP thank you for the information. 
I'm now tryint to get his wife Jane Park's death certificate.  I inputted the info as you said but it said no matches.

BordersLass
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 November 11 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the 1911 census to see if she was still alive then as you say she was only born in 1863

Is she shown as alive in 1924 when Joseph died?

It all helps to narrow any search for a death
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 November 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid the plot thickens.  I do have that census but she is mysteriously not on it, nor is one of her children Robert.  And I know for a fact that Robert did not die as my grandfather visited him years later when he lived in South Africa.  She was definitely alive at the time as Joseph Park was not listed as a widower.  I have no idea where they were!   :-\  On Joseph's death certificate in 1924, she is on there as still living.

BordersLass

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 November 11 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Robert would only have been 12yrs old in 1911 so must have been in Scotland somewhere

Have you searched the 1911 separately for Robert and Jane

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 November 11 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I haven't as of yet, that will be my next plan of attack.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 November 11 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Borderlass, They are both in Easrlands cemetery galashiels. Joseph  the BUILDER. died 1-7-1924 and jANE/Jean Davidson dIed 22-11-1934 aged 71yrs.
There is also details of deaths of daughters Isabella ,Jane etc 1810 and 1924.
Possibly I knew the son Joe Park also a builder who died suddenly in the 60s he also had a younger brother who  is still living.
alan
i would buy the Cd of Eastlands from BFHS for your Xmas and get all the Parks.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 November 11 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan

Thank you so much for your response!  I could not find Jane's death certificate, her maiden name was Donaldson.  I know of Isabella as knew her son whilst he was alive, he was my grandfather, Joseph Park Laidlaw's first cousin.  My great grandmother was her eldest sister. 
May I ask which son of Joseph Park the builder that you knew?!  I am very interested.  Did you perhaps know my grandfather?
Thank you for the information!

BordersLass