Author Topic: Frederick Oldham Born ? Sheffield  (Read 5342 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Oldham Born ? Sheffield
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Milly
I have seen that one never thought about them rounding it up so it could be I was hoping to find him with his father Matt who must be on the 1841 cencus somewhere because if he was dead it would say so on the marriage certificate, I have searched all over using the estimate age of his father as about 25 so 1802 to 1810 but very little anywhere for a Matt or Mathew Oldham and unfortunately i cant read the fathers occupation,
Frederick is down as brace bit, again an occupation i have never heard of.

Sorry - I got my maths the wrong way round and it would be rounded down to 10 which makes a lot more sense.

A "brace bit" is a bit for the end of a drill I think - the kind where you open up the fitting clamp at the end and change the size of the drill bit. (obviously the hand turn type not the electrical ones we have now).  Depending what he did - perhaps making or sharpening them  - it is not totally removed from whatever he may have learnt as a spring knife apprentice.

Marriage certificates don't always say "deceased" on them so it is possible his father had died.

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 17:07 GMT (UK) »
have you looked at Matthew Oldham born 1795 - Norton, Derbyshire

In 1861 - lodger, widow, gardener - Sheffield 
Mary Roberts   60
Sarah Barnes   35
Sidney Barnes   32
Charles Roberts   22
Matthew Oldham   66
RG9 - 3473 - 122 - 27

In 1871 - pauper - Ecclesall Bierlow Union Workhouse
RG10 - 4675 - 131 -  7

Deaths Jun 1876   Ecclesall B.    9c   204
Oldham    Matthew    age 85        

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Milly here is the record had to chop to death to get the main part on
Fletcher, Ogley, Shaw, Harvey, Dearnley, Simmons, Rodgers, Oldham, Robinson
Area,s Include - Barnsley, Gainsborough, Sheffield, Everton Drakeholes, Clayworth,

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
You know what?   I think that occupation is "Nursery Man"...... which would make the occupation of gardener later on a good possibility!

Occupation -  Brace Bit Maker 

Residence - Broomhall Street

Milly

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Who is the witness... something Roberts.

I was just looking at the names of the people the 1795 Matthew Oldham is lodging with in 1861 and wondered if perhaps it could be Mary's husband or older son (not listed here) - and perhaps they are related?

Mary Roberts   60
Sarah Barnes   35
Sidney Barnes   32
Charles Roberts   22
Matthew Oldham   66

Milly

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I Hope your right Milly
Area,s Include - Barnsley, Gainsborough, Sheffield, Everton Drakeholes, Clayworth,

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Is that Frank Roberts?

and possibly J Hudson?

Milly

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorted :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just found a tree on ancestry.. searching on the daughter Sarah from the 1861 Census born 1926 Wadsley brings up her - and her mother Mary Cawthorn and father Francis Roberts!

I looked a the 1841 Census they have for her and she is at Broomhall St. It is mis-transcribed as Hannah - but I think it actually shows her with husband Francis and two children  (Charles and on that I can't read)

So - if you follow up on all the census and BMD details and all is correct -  that is almost certainly the right Matthew in 1861 :D :D :D :D :D :D

Possible baptism for Mary Cawthorn at IGI
29 May 1803   Ecclesfield,​ York,​ England
Father William Cawathorn

Does that tie in with your knowlege of Frederick's wife Martha Cawthorn?

Oh - I just noticed no father given on the marriage cert...I wonder if she is Mary's daughter?   There is no sign of her on the tree.

Milly

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so so much for your time and effort it looks good to me just following it up now on Ancestry.
Just love this site and the many people that put in the hard work for free big thanks to all.
Richard