Author Topic: JORDAN Family pre 1800  (Read 3221 times)

Offline averill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JORDAN Family pre 1800
« on: Saturday 26 November 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my Jordan acestors to my earliest relative.  He was James Jordan b. 1808 & baptised at Sarratt, Herts.  His mother is given as Elizabeth Jordan. 
There are several 'Jordan' families in the Chipperfield / Kings Langley areas but haven't been able to make connection with any of these.
Here the search has gone 'cold'.  Any help would be gratefully received.

averill

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan Family pre 1800
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 11 00:09 GMT (UK) »
There were 2 James Jordan's baptised in Sarratt in 1808.   Besides the one you mention there was:

James b.1/4/1808, bp.8/5/1808 Sarratt, son of John Jordan and Rebecca (nee Kentish).

How do you know which one is yours?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 11 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi averill

Welcome to RootsChat. ;D

Have you considered the possibility from the IGI of Elizabeth Jordan being the daughter of Ephraim & Nasse(sic) christened 25 July 1790 in Kings Langley.

I think it's probably Mercy & not Nasse or Masse. :) There is a marriage for Ephraim Jordan to Mercy Sanders in K/L 5 May 1779 which would fit.

If you could give us any more info on your James & mother Elizabeth it could help in tracking back.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts

Offline averill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Annette & Maddie for your replies.

I must admit that I am not 100% sure that I can connect my James Jordan b. 1808 & baptised at Sarratt to a particular Elizabeth Jordan, only by a process of elimination.  The other James Jordan born the same year and also baptised at Sarratt, whose parents as you state are John Jordan & Rebecca (nee Kentish) as given on this James baptism record, whereas my James Jordan has only his mother Elizabeth Jordan recorded.  Just to confuse matters, the other James Jordan also lived in Chipperfield & ran the buthcher's shop there.

I did think that Elizabeth Jordan b.1790, daughter of Ephraim & Mercy Jordan could have been 'my' James Jordan's mother, but cannot find (so far) any evidence to support this fact.  This Elizabeth Jordan had a twin sister Ann and I have not found any further records for either of these two girls, regarding marriage or deaths!  They both had two older sisters, Sarah b.1782 & Fanny b. 1786 and an older brother - also Ephraim b.1780 and a younger sister Charlotte b. 1792.

I have researched as many Jordan families as I could find in the Sarratt / Chipperfield / Kings Langley areas to try and link together a of larger Jordan family group without too much luck so far, just several 'isolated' families.

Just to make life difficult, checking at Herts. Records Office, it would appear that no parish records have survived for Kings Langley that cover the period of interest that might have given me a clue or two.

My 3X great grandfather James Jordan b.1808 married first Fanny (Frances Ford) their marriage record does not give details of either of their fathers.  When James re-married following the death of Frances, he gave the name of his father as 'Richard Jordan' this I think was to cover his illegitimacy.  No trace of this Richard Jordan can be found!

Regards,  averill.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 11 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi averill

I wonder if these are the marriages of Elizabeth & Ann.......

Elizabeth Jordan married Daniel Bryant 24th June 1811 in Chenies Bucks about 3 miles from Sarrat/Chipperfield. They can be found on the 1841/51 & 61 census. Indexed as Briant.
1851 Daniel is indexed as David, HO107, Piece 1714, Folio 571 P 18. Daniel was born Sarratt & Elizabeth born Chipperfield.

Ann Jordan married RICHARD Beveridge 16th Oct 1812 Kings Langley. They can be found on the 1841 in Rickmansworth HO107 Piece 438 Folio 17 P 9. In 1851 Ann is a widow still in Rickmansworth & states born Chipperfield. All children recorded on the IGI.

Richard died in 1849 & was buried 3 June aged 68 at St Marys Rickmansworth.

Could the name Richard be relevant, do you think. :-\

If it's any help Ephraim Jordan was buried 23 Jan 1820 at All Saints Kings Langley aged 67, abode Chipperfield & Masay (sic) was buried 10 April 1836 Abbot Langley Saint Lawrence aged 88, abode Chipperfield.

Not sure if any of this will help but it might lead to some clue somewhere.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

A little bit of added info from the Militia List of Kings Langley which Incorporated Chipperfield & Bucks Hill.

There were 3 Jordans,

Ephraim from 1782 until 1786 a Publican.

John from1775 until 1782 an Exciseman, Labourer & Higgler in the time period.

William from 1759, Shoemaker until 1769 then in 1775 a Labourer until 1786 so I think possibly they are father & son.

Don't know if it's of any use but could help to work out the families.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire