Author Topic: Queries regarding a death cert of a baby  (Read 3570 times)

Offline yaya*

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Queries regarding a death cert of a baby
« on: Sunday 27 November 11 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Looking for some help with some queries I have about a death cert of a child. I am fairly certain it is the cert I'm looking for, however there are some discrepancies- first, the baby was born in June 1931 and the death cert is for December 1931-that would make the baby 6 months old at his death, however the cert says 6 weeks? Is that a common mistake?

Also, the baby was born at 7 Herbert place but the death cert says the baby died in the Dublin union workhouse and was "late of holles street". Was Herbert place an extension of holles street?

Finally, the fathers occupation on the birth cert is grocers assistant and on the death cert it says the child's occupation is "renauls child" (that's what I can see anyway-I will try and upload an image of the cert so you can examine it yourselves! What is a "renauls child"??

Thanks for any help you can give.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Queries regarding a death cert of a baby
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 11 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Herbert place is not adjacent to Holles Street ... but it is quite close - less than 1km.

There was (and still is) a large Maternity Hospital at Holles street... what is the name and address of the informant ?

Ages are often inaccurate on death certs, but generally those given on census returns and death certs for children, especially very young, are more likely to be correct. Are you certain it's the same child ?

Of course the 6 months/week detail could just be a mishearing or misunderstanding..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 11 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Finally, the fathers occupation on the birth cert is grocers assistant and on the death cert it says the child's occupation is "renauls child"

just realized it seem to be the child's 'occupation' you mentioned not that of the father..death certs for children sometimes describe their occupation in terms of their father - e.g. daughter of a civil servant, son of farmer etc

see: Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline yaya*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 11 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply!

For the informant on the birth cert it says "m. Fleming, occupier, 7 Herbert place".
For the death cert it says "n. O Dwyer, occupier, Dublin union."

I suppose my question really is that was there a connection between Herbert place and holles street or are they distinct? If there was a connection, it would explain why it named holles street on death cert, even though he wasn't born there?

Any idea what a "renaul" would be in terms of occupation-I can't upload image from this computer for some reason-I will try later!

Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 November 11 14:55 GMT (UK) »
7 Herbert place is listed as a nursing home in Thom's 1930. Mary Fleming as the occupier

As well as the National Maternity Hospital at Holles St, at no. 29 to 31, there was also a City Hospital on that street at no. 2,3,4.

I dont know of any connection between the hospital at Holles Street and the Herbert Place Nursing home. Generally these nursing homes were a bit more 'up-market' than the public hospitals.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline yaya*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 11 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Shane-so this may not be the correct death cert after all! I'll keep hunting!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 11 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Any idea what a "renaul" would be in terms of occupation-I can't upload image from this computer for some reason-I will try later!

no idea on the renaul detail - see if you can work out how to post an scan of that.  Note just post a small section of the cert ... full certs are not allowed.

I'd be a bit worried about that age discrepancy - I think most people would know if a child was 6 weeks or 6 months. I supect that the Medical Officer (or whatever N. Dywer is) in the workhouse would be more likely to get the age correct ?

Usually the residence on a death cert from a hospital or workhouse would show usual residence, but for a young child my guess for the  'late of holles street' is that it may mean that the child was born in the Maternity Hospital there, and was later transferred to the Workhouse. There are records for the Dublin City Workhouses (North & South Union) in the National Archives which might show a bit more detail.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Yanniboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know whether this will be of assistance to you after all this time.

I just came across this as I was searching some information. In 1955 I was born in the Lisieux Nursing Home at 7 Herbert Place, Dublin.

In1931 it may have been called a different name or even a private home.

I hope this name may be of assistance, I do not have any further information.

Regards.

Offline Yanniboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 February 23 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Saw this while searching

Hospital records The National Maternity Hospital Holles Street has admitted it was short-sighted to destroy all its pre-1968 medical records

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/destroying-records-was-short-sighted-1.1146943

Regards