Author Topic: Schiff Family Holsten, Germany/Prussia  (Read 4673 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Schiff Family Holsten, Germany/Prussia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 December 11 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paula,

No major breakthroughs I'm afraid. The American woman, who is actually German, is back from her travels and has sent me a couple of emails today. The info she has sent me shows that five men from Wollstein with the surname Schiff became naturalised Prussian citizens in 1834. We are currently comparing the forenames of the generation after your Abraham.

There may be some interesting records in the archives of Poznan. I'm discussing the matter with the German woman.

Take care, Justin

Offline cas21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 December 11 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paula
I too have go a small ammount of info on the Schiff brothers, possibly a few you havent already got. My Gt Grandfather was David Lowe and in my paperwork, written down from the London Gazzette, there was a partnership dissolved between him and Saling Schiff as cigar manufaturers and dealers in/and importers of tobacco. Firm of Lowe & Schiff at 126 Commercial st Spitalfields. Dissolved 17/6/1877.
I can find nothing else on this business.
Hoping this is of help
Caroline
Lowe-prussia/london. Davis-poland/australia/london. Simpson-Yorkshire/Middlesboro/Eastbourne. Juvet-Neuchatel switzerland. Landry-Switzerland/France.

Offline 77777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 December 11 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline

Thank you very much for letting me know. I didn't know about that partnership and it's always great to get new information.  I knew of another partnership that Saling had with his brother Louis.

If you find out any more in the future please let me know and if I come across anything I will reciprocate.

Thanks again.
Paula
Oriel, James, Tucker, Skiff, Hallett

Offline 77777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin

I found an Abraham Schiff and Leopold Schiff in Yorkshire in the 1841 census.

Then I found an Abraham Schiff who died in East London in 1850 and a Leopold Schiff who died in East London in 1851.   

In 1852 Saling Schiff called his son Abraham and the next son he had in 1853 he named Leopold - possibly after his late father and brother. 

I guess the explanation for them living in Yorkshire in 1841 away from the rest of the family would be that Abraham had an unusual occupation - a hawker.

What do you think?

Kind regards
Paula 

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paula,

Season's greetings!

I had already assumed that Abraham and Leopold were closely related to your family  (based on  the same logic), but Yorkshire was a very long way to go, and I cannot imagine why it was any easier being a hawker (a peddlar) up there.

A great many German-Jews were impoverished hawkers/peddlars. They were not permitted to learn a trade, and were often not permitted to run a shop. They had few other options. An attempt to escape poverty (and military conscription) was the commonest driver behind migration/emigration.

However, poor as they were, they had good business acumen, which opened great opportunites in more liberal societies such as the UK.

Justin

Offline 77777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year Justin

Oh dear I should clearly have looked into the occupation, I hadn't heard of it and I thought it was something completely different. 

Yes, indeed a long way to go but as you say it does seem logical and I guess we will never know why they went there.

Many thanks for your input.
Paula

Offline stmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 March 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hello: I wanted to ask if you have ever come across a Schiffl in yours search for the Schiff family.  We have this family name in our tree but cannot find anything on them anywhere. 

Thanks for any info.

Judy
Gray, Rodger, Flockhart, Buist, Campbell in Fife.  Arthur, Blyth, Morgan, Halliday, Durham, Stark, Gib and Arnot(t) in various areas in Scotland.
Erl, Schiffl, Rossler and Gatter in Germany.

Offline 77777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 March 12 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy

I have sent you a personal message.