Author Topic: Another Roberts from Chirk  (Read 2747 times)

Offline marstonb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another Roberts from Chirk
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 November 11 22:14 GMT (UK) »
hi gnu
Yes the broken link with the family in the 1841 cansus is a major frustration. Mary was in service and her marriage cert  in 1849 gives her ocupation as servant. I believe her father Robert is alive when she marries as it gives his occupation as labourer. I suspect that Elizabeth LLoyd died sometime between the birth of Robert  c1836 and the 1841 census, the most probable reason for the familly breakdown.
Sorry if my guess of birth year of 1790 for Robert (senior)was missleading. not being able to identify him in the 1841/51 census left me guessing based on his marriage
I didn't realise that their was a problem with the IGIrecords for Chirk. I need to think of some way to get access to the parish records to do a more detailed search.

andy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another Roberts from Chirk
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 November 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
As I said, I have access to the Chirk Parish records. However, there is no way of knowing if Robert was born Chirk or that the marriage in 1825 was the correct one.  I don't see a baptism for Mary or Edward to a Robert and Elizabeth so the only evidence is that of Robert, jnr and that, again, is circumstantial.  Believe me,  I've chased Robert and John Robertses around the Berwyns and back again, so I know how easy it is to follow, false trails.

There is a burial in March 1835 for a Robert Roberts, aged 36 but that would mean that he wasn't Robert, jnr's father as this was a year before Robert's birth. Also, a burial for an Elizabeth Roberts, widow, aged 39, in Nov 1837. Again no more info.

The early marriage certs didn't necessarily say deceased, even if the father was. I have some like that and I know that the father was dead from other evidence.

gnu

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***