Author Topic: Rodgers/McCurry - Completed - thanks  (Read 5573 times)

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rodgers/McCurry - Completed - thanks
« on: Monday 28 November 11 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello, first post and new to this site. Cannot believe the wealth of information I have found about my family on here so thought I'd ask if anyone knows anything of this relative who has been one of my Irish brick walls for a while.

Sarah Ann Rodgers.

She was married in Limavady in June 1890 and died between June 1905 and 1911. In the 1905 Ireland Census she is 34 years of age (Sarah Ann McCurry) and her place of birth is Co. Derry. Her last child Margaret was born in 1905. I have been able to find 9 children but there may have been more. The 1911 Scottish census just says place of birth for them all is Ireland.

The family moved around - Myroe, Ballykelly, Magherafelt and Limavady. The family moved to Scotland in 1911 but Sarah was not with them. Robert remarried and his status was widower.

Any help at alll would be much appreciated - IThank you
Morrison, Porter, Caie, Reid, Paterson, Robertson

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rodgers/McCurry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 11 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. For reference here's a link to the family in 1901 census:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Ballykelly/Ballykelly_Level/1522019
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 11 09:38 GMT (UK) »
There’s a likely death registered in Limavady, Jan – Mar 1908, Vol 1, page 579. Sarah Ann M’Curry, estimated born 1868.

I also noticed a birth at the same time: Limavady, Jan – Mar 1908, Vol 1, page 621. Sarah Jane M’Curry. I wondered if that was another child and whether birth complications might have been the cause of death?
Elwyn

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 11 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, can see the 9 birth records for the McCurry children, all registered Ballykelly between 1890 and 1905, the 7 from the 1901 census plus John 1902 and Maggie 1905.

I can see the marriage from 1890 Limavady first Presbyterian church, Roberts father is recorded as Archibald, Sarah's fathers name does not appear to be recorded. (Because it was a mixed marriage?)

Possible birth record for her here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FR4Q-PW5

This birth was also recorded at Ballynascreen Roman Catholic church

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 11 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. For reference here's a link to the family in 1901 census:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Ballykelly/Ballykelly_Level/1522019

Thankyou so much for that - much appreciated. That matches up with the ages and names of the children I have on my record

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 11 19:02 GMT (UK) »
There’s a likely death registered in Limavady, Jan – Mar 1908, Vol 1, page 579. Sarah Ann M’Curry, estimated born 1868.

I also noticed a birth at the same time: Limavady, Jan – Mar 1908, Vol 1, page 621. Sarah Jane M’Curry. I wondered if that was another child and whether birth complications might have been the cause of death?

That is interesting as I was told there may have been more children but could never find any. There is no metion of this child in the 1911 Scottish census but she could have died prior to that. Thankyou for your help.

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 November 11 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, can see the 9 birth records for the McCurry children, all registered Ballykelly between 1890 and 1905, the 7 from the 1901 census plus John 1902 and Maggie 1905.

I can see the marriage from 1890 Limavady first Presbyterian church, Roberts father is recorded as Archibald, Sarah's fathers name does not appear to be recorded. (Because it was a mixed marriage?)

Possible birth record for her here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FR4Q-PW5

This birth was also recorded at Ballynascreen Roman Catholic church

Regards

Joe
That all sounds right except I have Roberts father as Joseph from his death certificate and also from his second marriage certificate. I do have an Archibald in the tree born around 1830 but he marries Mary Peoples. This part of the tree has caused me confusion for some time as there also seems to be two brothers marrying two sisters and have children with similar names. However, word of mouth from another part of the family was they left Ireland after an arguement and the family were split. Thankyou so much for this - I'll maybe try to come back at this from the Blackburn side of the family and see if I can get any luck there

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 November 11 19:32 GMT (UK) »
This may be Roberts birth record here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5Y7-6Q7

The marriage where his fathers name is recorded as Archibald may be a mistranscription, or perhaps there were 2 Robert McCurry's marrying 2 Sarah Rodgers, same year same area, which I doubt

The civil marriage record should sort out who's who , the marriage is recorded in Limavady 1890 April- June quarter Vol 1 page 755 (McCurry spelt M'Curry)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYHS-HPY

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 November 11 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that birth looks right as the parents names are the same as Roberts 2nd marriage and death certificate. I agree the chances of two people same names same date etc are pretty slim.

Your information about Roberts birth confirms his parents as I also have a brother of Josephs (David) married twice 1st is Sarah Blackburn and 2nd to Peggy Jane Blackburn. With Joseph married to Mary Jane Blackburn it just seemed to be wrong. So thankyou for sorting this out.

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth