Author Topic: SWEETMAN/CONNELL - Skibbereen  (Read 15894 times)

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
Re: SWEETMAN/CONNELL - Skibbereen
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 10 October 19 08:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark,

Lots of reading to do!

Cheers,
Alison

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 10 October 19 10:13 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Rathmore02

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 October 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Many thanks for your response:  I will digest all and get back with another round of questions!

I had not seen the Reporter article before - I'm thinking that the 'relative returning from Australia' is likely John Hegarty:  do you know if that's the case and, if so, how the Hegarty's are related?

Richard

Offline Rathmore02

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 October 19 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I’m trying to fill in some of the unknowns about my Payne ancestors in West Cork (Rathmore townland, Tullagh Parish) and, in particular, why and when they decided to pay homage to the Freke (Carbery Barony) name.

I’m keen to find out what happened here because I think that might help me work out how my seemingly fiercely protestant family got to be in south west Cork.

I’ve got plenty of evidence that my G2Grandfather (born 1825) was named Freke Payne, but I’ve heard conflicting claims as to whether his father (born c. 1800) was also called Freke Payne, or was instead another John Payne.

The only lead I’ve got on this is the 1829 Tithe Applotment Book for Tullagh parish, which shows both a ‘J’ and a ‘’T Payne paying tithes, on separate farms, in 1829.

So this raises a few questions: 
•   Is ‘J Payne’ actually John Payne?  If not, then who?
•   If his formal name is actually ‘John’, is it also possible that he decided to call himself ‘Freke’ all or some of the time.  i.e. was this a reasonably common practice?
•   Who the hell is ‘T Payne’?  It seems too early for him to be a son of John/Freke (Snr), but he could perhaps be a brother.   (One of Freke (Jnr’s) sons is named Thomas.  While Freke’s son wasn’t born till 1869, its possible that ‘T Payne’ was also a Thomas.)

Any info or pointers on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.