Author Topic: Herbert Paine & Elizabeth Sophia Hemstrich  (Read 4213 times)

Offline serge44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Paine & Elizabeth Sophia Hemstrich
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I suspect this too; but can't find anything to confirm that yet.

Spoke with my father who reckons that his dad's brother Stephen moved to WA after the war (WWI) - but I think this might have been the family explanation to a young boy. The birthdate of Stephen seems too coincidental with Cyril's birthdate in that linked tree. I think Stephen is the one who died on the Somme.

Also found a postcard which was from his grandfather (possibly Herbert) - he thought it was from his mother's side - but the postcard mentioned service in the Grenadiers, then in the Boer and then WWI; Herbert seems to have been in service but again can't find anything over here (Aust).

Offline serge44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 December 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
That tree is the link I was looking for; now to try and remember all my cousin's names.

Then research Boer War history and then WWI service for Herbert and get more details of Stephen's effort on the Somme.

Cyril served in the RN from 1921 to 1936 before transferring to the RAN and serving until 1958

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 December 11 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Sadly Stephen was only 19 when he died on 10th July 1918

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=550029

Herbert and Elizabeth were living in The Station House,Farnham,Surrey at the time....
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 December 11 14:55 GMT (UK) »

Also found a postcard which was from his grandfather (possibly Herbert) - he thought it was from his mother's side - but the postcard mentioned service in the Grenadiers, then in the Boer and then WWI; Herbert seems to have been in service but again can't find anything over here (Aust).

Herbert seems to have enlisted with the Grenadier Guards in June 1889.  He gave his age as 19 years 1 month, occupation labourer, already belonged to 1st V/B Dorset Regiment.

Height 5ft 8in, weight 121 lb, chest 34.25 in, fresh complexion, grey eyes, dark brown hair. Dark hairy moles on right thing and left side of neck.

Next of kin were parents Stephen and Mary Jane of Corfe Castle nr Wareham, and elder brother Alfred of Jubilee Terrace, Herston, Dorset.

Records show his service as follows, prior to discharge at expiry of period of service in 1902:

Home 19.6.89 - 21.7.90
Bermuda 22.7.90 - 28.7.91
Home 29.7.91 - 8.8.00
South Africa 9.8.00 - 22.5.02
Home 23.5.02 - 18.6. 02
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 December 11 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Herbert re-enlisted with the 2nd Grenadiers as a special reservist in September 1914, citing his previous time-expired service with them. (He transferred to the Middlesex Regt in May 1915).

NOK this time was his wife.  Details were given of his marriage to Elizabeth Sophia Hemstrich (Spinster) at Yorktown on 1 Aug 1898, and children Stephen (1899), Cyril Herbert (1903), Katherine Bessie (1906), Hubert Victor (1907), Raymond Wallace (1909), Philip Alfred (1910) and then a daughter* (1914). His service summary shows:

Home 11.9.14 - 4.6.16
B.E.F. 5.6.16 - 17.10.17
Home 18.10.17- 4.2.19.

*I'm not posting the youngest daughter's name as she may still be alive, but her 1914 birth can be found on FreeBMD.  The three youngest boys are all shown by English records to be deceased - Hubert and Raymond in the 1970s, and Philip in 1926 aged only 16.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline serge44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 December 11 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Sadly Stephen was only 19 when he died on 10th July 1918

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=550029

Herbert and Elizabeth were living in The Station House,Farnham,Surrey at the time....
allan

that was the link that threw me off; my dad had always been told Cyril's brother Stephen resettled in Perth WA after the war. Surprised him no end when I found the truth.

Offline serge44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 December 11 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Herbert seems to have enlisted with the Grenadier Guards in June 1889.  He gave his age as 19 years 1 month, occupation labourer, already belonged to 1st V/B Dorset Regiment.

Height 5ft 8in, weight 121 lb, chest 34.25 in, fresh complexion, grey eyes, dark brown hair. Dark hairy moles on right thing and left side of neck.

Next of kin were parents Stephen and Mary Jane of Corfe Castle nr Wareham, and elder brother Alfred of Jubilee Terrace, Herston, Dorset.

Records show his service as follows, prior to discharge at expiry of period of service in 1902:

Home 19.6.89 - 21.7.90
Bermuda 22.7.90 - 28.7.91
Home 29.7.91 - 8.8.00
South Africa 9.8.00 - 22.5.02
Home 23.5.02 - 18.6. 02

thanks - also found out from another source

l9l4 Volunteered at the start of WW1
Firstly, he was an instructor in the Guards. Later with the Middlesex Regiment where he oversaw the training of his eldest son Stephen.
Later Herbert was transferred to a service battalion of the Middlesex Regiment, and finally to the Royal Flying Corps (later the Royal Air Force) in Bath as an instructor to an O.T.C,

just the start if finding out who did what I imagine

Offline serge44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 December 11 10:48 GMT (UK) »
and then a daughter* (1914).

*I'm not posting the youngest daughter's name as she may still be alive, but her 1914 birth can be found on FreeBMD. 

thanks for that - found the daughter passed away in 1969,

Offline andycallaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 September 22 12:38 BST (UK) »
Just re-erecting an old post.

Wondering if serge44 is still on here as I'd like to make contact :)