Author Topic: Sir Thomas Wood of Low Hall, North or South Cave  (Read 9792 times)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Thomas Wood of Low Hall, North or South Cave
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 July 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi StompieSinger
A bit of an anomaly area is North Cave, South Cave and all the hamlets and further along to Newport and Gilberdyke, as to where the Methodist's were buried.

It could be they had a family tomb etc on the estate, to find out you would need to look at all the documents held in the archives.

North Cave Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire
The chapel erected in 1870 to the plans of architect Joseph Wright at a cost of approximately £800 replaced a chapel that was built in 1819. It had the distinction of being the first chapel built north of the Humber opening on 26th July 1819. North Cave also became the head of the North Cave Circuit.

By 2009 the chapel appeared to have closed for worship. In February 2013 bids were invited for the purchase of the building. It was sold to be converted into three apartments.

Photos taken August 2009 and 2013.

OS Map ref:106:SE892323

Maybe they are buried in the cemetery of All Saints Church, North Cave - You could contact the vicar and ask if he is able to assist you with the burials 01430 470716 or write to the Vicar of All Saint's Church, Church Street, North Cave, East Yorkshire.
On this link for the church you can email directly to them. https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/19166/get-in-touch/
By 1872 the churchyard at All Saint’s Church (this will be North Cave) had become overcrowded. Therefore, Charles Edward Gee Barnard of Cave Castle donated an acre and  rood for a new burial ground, which was consecrated in 1873. This cemetery was placed under the control of a burial board of seven members. As of 1910, it was administered by the Parish Council.

The grounds were extended in 1967, with a further extension consecrated in 2011. The chapel was designed by Smith & Brodrick of Hull and  built by local builder Thomas Goodwill for £800. It has unusual red acorn roof tiles, an apsidal east end, and a bell turret to the west.

The first interment in the cemetery was of William Thompson, aged 7 months. Over the years, the chapel was no longer used for funeral services and fell into a poor state of repair, becoming the target of vandals. However, a group of volunteers formed the Friends of South Cave Cemetery Chapel and raised funds for restoration work.

Restoration work was carried out over a period of several years, with summer concerts and Christmas Carol services being held in the chapel. It is a listed building, but without electricity, water or sanitary arrangements its use is limited.

The lychgate was also designed by Smith & Brodrick, and was restored early in the 21st Century.

The Victorian brass bell which tolled at burials was stolen from the chapel bell turret some years ago. However, it mysteriously reappeared, having been painted black, at the back of a cupboard in the Town Hall in 1992. A parish councillor had the bell restored and it is now on show in the Town Hall Chamber. The table from the chapel is now in All Saint’s Church in front of the organ.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/SouthCave 
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 July 19 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, StompieSinger
Is this the Rev John Stamp you seeking;
Stamp, John  1787 Entered Ministry - 1831 Died - dosen't state where
https://www.mywesleyanmethodists.org.uk/content/people-2/a_to_z_of_ministers/wesleyan_methodist_ministers-19

So much on this thread to read back through, is he mentioned ??
How does he fit into the Stamp lineage, North Cave ??

b.
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline StompieSinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 July 19 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi bendywendy,

Sorry I live in Australia so the timezone differences are going to be annoying. But thankyou so much for your two replies! I'm so pleased that now I have some direction in terms of who to contact for potential burials of the Wood family.
I noticed that you were able to find quite a few mentions of the Wood family from the 1780s through to the early 1800s, do you recall if you saw any records earlier than 1785 of the family? I understand that it was ten years ago, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Regarding the Rev. John Stamp, yes that was him, born 1761, entered 1787, died 1831. There was the one mention of his and his wife Ann from a record dated about 1807. Their children were also mentioned (I think in Sarah Wood's will): Sarah Stather Stamp, John Sundius Stamp,William Wood Stamp, Edward Blanshard Stamp, Elizabeth Margaret Stamp, Keziah Wesley Stamp, and George Jabez Stamp. Was Sarah Wood's will viewable or was there only a description available when you found it?

- Tom

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 July 19 01:41 BST (UK) »
https://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/search-resources/special-collections/guide-to-special-collections/methodist/methodist-archives-collection-catalogue/catalogue-viewer/

Ministers' letters and autographs: (WM) Collected by William Upcott
1748-1833
Portrait engravings,
John Sundius Stamp
William Wood Stamp

From about 1/3rd way down of page....

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767351.0

http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/GB145_DKEE/
STAMP / KEELING FAMILY
Ref No: DKEE
Date: 1775-1873
Description: The records in this collection are comprised of five Guard books containing correspondence, newspaper cuttings and images from various members of the Stamp family, including the Reverend W. W. Stamp and his father, the Revened John Stamp, both of whom were Weslyan ministers.........>>>>>
Dudley Archives and Local History Centre
Prefix   GB145
Address   Tipton Road,  Dudley, West Midlands, DY1 4SQ, United Kingdom
Telephone   01384 812770
Email   archives.centre@dudley.gov.uk
>>>>>Mr. Coulson had as his colleague, at this time, the Rev. John Stamp, the brilliant and earnest evangelist, who made a deep and lasting impression on the generation which attended his fervent ministry; but who left behind him a legacy of mingled good and ill.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xTFcAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=Rev+john+stamp&source=bl&ots=Jz0FFSL-9c&sig=ACfU3U2pTX6ENEKvaik8XQlqeRcZoRacgQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjw6oj5v5zjAhWrUxUIHXREAKAQ6AEwCnoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Rev%20john%20stamp&f=false

A plain and brief defence of the conduct of ... John Stamp ..., Volume 23

Stamp, John....
on the hyperlink at the bottom, this is noted:
he has often been confused by historians with John Sundius Stamp, a member of the Wesleyan family
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 July 19 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom
Yesterday I asked on a local FB site (South Cave History) if anyone had a Monumental Inscription book for both South and North Cave, luckily someone had a book for South Cave, this is the info:

351 In memory of Jane Isobel (Jennie) beloved wife of Henry Thomas Wood of Newport died 14th Nov 1946 age 31 years. Peace, perfect peace.  Lynton, New Road, North Cave.

473 In loving memory of Albert L Wood, beloved husband, dad and pop died 27th Oct 1990 age 73 years at rest. Burial Nov 2 Albert Louvain Wood, South Cave .

These are in South Cave cemetery.
Sadly these are the only ones with a HEADSTONE recorded, they may well be burials in South Cave Cemetery without headstones, to search for these we need to look at the burial register for the cemetery.

TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 July 19 11:58 BST (UK) »
 """"I've seen conflicting dates of birth for Ann Wood, one record saying she was born in 1768, another 1770, though her burial record in 1811 in Mansfield says she was aged 45 (hence born c.1766)"""

Age: back then no one knew how old they were, even into the latter 1800's into the early 1900's folk didn't know there actual date of birth or place of birth, why, because many folk were illiterate, it also didn't really matter to them, many didn't celebrate birthdays so no memory of the date inplanted.
Also when someone died, the person in charge of the funeral may well not have known how old someone was and made a hazy guess, women didn't always "let on" to others, especially men.
You should also bear in mind, when searching for Baptism's a baby could well be a infant, child, older child and at times an adult at time of their Baptism.

Have you found a BAPTISM for Ann Wood ??
What are the records you have found for her conflicting DOB ??
Also, can you confirm her parents names ??

Wend

TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline StompieSinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 July 19 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Wend,

Sorry for the delay, had a busy day. Thanks so much for those links, I'd seen one or two of them before, but the rest were great new info! Those engravings in particular sound very interesting, thanks especially for sending the link to that one. I've looked through most of the links, and while one or two are of a completely different John Stamp (who, as you say, was sometimes mistaken for John Sundius Stamp), these links for the most part are very accurate. I had no idea how many records there were of Rev. John Stamp and his son Rev. John Sundius Stamp.
Thanks for looking in the South Cave records, maybe the North Cave records will have a bit more in the Wood family (please feel free to ask on Rootschat on my behalf).

Regarding Ann Wood, I thought I might have seen a baptism from 1768 at North Cave, but I haven't recorded it if I did, so can't be certain of that. I may have seen it on a family tree, not caring to look if there were sources or not. However, the 1766 possibility was from the burial record, though, as you say, that could be a complete guess.

In terms of evidence of her parentage, records say her father was John Wood of North Cave, an early supporter of Methodism. And as for her mother, the records you mentioned when writing to Kayzee ten years ago seemed to be rather conclusive that her mother was a Stather. In addition, Ann Wood's eldest daughter was named Sarah Stather Stamp, and there is a record of John Wood marrying Anne Stather in 1763 in North Cave. I think I found that one on the FindMyPast website.

Best, Tom

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 July 19 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
Ann Wood, thanks for confirming the link to Kayzee. So many folk with same name.

I have posted for Lookup for North Cave, this is the link:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=815258.new#new

Night night
Wend