Author Topic: Memorials at St Mary's Sellyoak  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Memorials at St Mary's Sellyoak
« on: Tuesday 29 November 11 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there are still stone memorials at St Mary's Selly Oak? I am looking for the death dates of a small family in 1885, 1888 & 1909. If there are memorials, does anyone have or know of an index, I am looking for Alsops.
  The burial register for those dates is not on microfilm. I know the simplest way is to order the death certificates, but I'm on a budget!
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline oliver2008

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Memorials at St Mary's Sellyoak
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm a mile or so away from St Mary's Church.  No visible graveyard but the church is set quite a long way back from the main road.  Lodge Hill cemetery is very very close so my guess would be that that is where recent burials will be found.  I will take a closer look when I am next along there.  Oliver
West, Reeve, Lancelotte, Padden

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Oliver, that's very kind.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 12 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Lodge Hill Cemetery opened in 1895 so it is possible that the earlier burials were at St Marys. I was a member there until moving away from Birmingham in 1974. At that time there was quite a large burial area to the side and rear of the church, however even then it was in a poor state and many of the memorials were difficult to read.
Another point to remember Selly Oak, Worcestershire did not become a part of Birmingham until 1911.

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 12 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Colin for your help, the date is useful to know. I thought they might be buried in the churchyard because they were connected to the person who donated the land for the building of the church.  When I visited the archives some years ago, I was unaware of the connection & annoyingly spent my time looking for them in graveyards and cemetaries near where they lived in Edgbaston.
     I will try to keep the change of County in mind, such things are useful to know & I was unaware of it. The trouble with sporadic dips into family history I find is that sometimes you don't make best use of the tips & information, as little things get forgotten even tho' they might be the key!
Many thanks,
Kay

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 12 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,
Thank you for your reply.
Selly Oak came into being as a name around the time St Mary's was built in 1861, before that it was known as Selly in the parish of Northfield. With regards to the county they lived in would depend on their actual address as Edgbaston was in Warwick and Harborne in Staffs. Kings Norton etc. Worcs.

These websites might help.

http://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-s/selly-oak/
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/place_page.jsp?p_id=22916

If you would like to send names/dob/dates of the burials you are seeking, I could check on findmypast to see if they are listed.

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 12 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Colin, I am looking for:

Sarah Jessy Alsop/Allsop bn 1832, buried Jun qtr 1885
Ann Maria Alsop/Allsop bn 1807, buried Mch qtr 1888
John Alsop/Allsop bn 1829, buried Mch qtr 1909.

I know that John lived a reclusive life after his mother & sister died, so there may not be a memorial for him, but I find it hard to believe he did not  have one erected to them.

Many thanks for your help,
Kay

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 12 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,
Sorry to say there are no burials for them on find my past.
I did find their death registrations and census returns.

I noticed that Ann Maria Wood first married Josiah Allsop and after he died George Howell. Her death index was in the name of Howell.
Ann Maria and Sarah were both registered in Kings Norton, Worcs.
That ties in with the 1881 census address of 81 Bristol Rd, Edgbaston.

As this is not far out of the city my guess that they would not be buried at St Mary's, Selly Oak, more likely St Marys, Whittall St or Key Hill Cemetery.

As for John, I could not locate him in 1891/1901 but his death was registered in Birmingham, so he was probably buried with his mother?

I note his brother Frederick married and moved to Glasgow, he then like John became an Artist.

It might help if you posted your request on the Birmingham History Forum. They may have someone who could do a look up for you. http://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/login

If I can be of any help please let me know.

Regards

Colin

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 February 12 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Colin. It is good to be reminded that Ann Maria was registered as Howell, I'd forgotten that! I think George Howell must have died in Jun qtr 1842 & their daughter Mary Ann in 1845, but Ann Maria reverted to the name of Alsop although her previous husband was Allsop.
   I have checked the Key Hill Cemetary records, not sure about Whittall St., but my reason for thinking that they are buried at St. Mary's, Selly Oak is that they were connected to the Ledsams (Ledsam donated the land for the building of St Mary's church). John Alsop is known to have spent a lot of time on the Ledsams estate.
   Thank you for the details of the Birmingham History Forum, I might try that.