Author Topic: Michael John Cantwell/Bridget Hanley  (Read 5090 times)

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael John Cantwell/Bridget Hanley
« on: Tuesday 29 November 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Looking for more information about Michael John Cantwell and Bridget Hanley - both immigrated to Australia seperately, married and had a child, Australian born Mary Cantwell. Briget Hanley - only her father's name is given: John Hanley. Tipperary is mentioned as the origin of both Michael John Cantwell and Bridget Hanley in some records that have been found; his parents names are according to death certificate: John Cantwell and Ann Hammel. Could anyone help me find more about them and their parents?

Offline OTBTresearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael John Cantwell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you dates for these people?
date of emigration or birth?

Hanly is quite a common name, Cantwell less so and both are quite strong in Cashel Co. Tipperary but dates would help people finding links.

Cecile Mulcahy
Researcher

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I have marriage certificate, daughter's birth certificate, and death certificates.
Thanks for that.

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Michael John Cantwell:
Birth: 1835 (died age 52 in 1887 - according to death certificate)
Immigration: around 1850's perhaps

Bridget Hanley:
Birth: 1847 (died age 84 in 1931 - according to death certificate)
Immigration: around 1850's perhaps

Offline OTBTresearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael John Cantwell/Bridget Hanley
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Bridget daughter of a John Hanly will be near impossible to narrow down as the name is too common.

Searching Tipperary, there are two distinct databases for the period, one is online of www.rootsireland.ie and belongs to the IFHF, there are not Michael Cantwell son of a John Cantwell born in the time frame.
This takes care of all the non parishes in Tipperary except for the Cashel and Emly diocese.

The Cashel and Emly records are only available on a database at the TFHR and there is a fee for the search but it might be worth the €22. Their website is www.tfhr.org

Both these databases are transcripts of original CATHOLIC records in individual parishes. Copies of records are also in the National Library but there are no index, as you do not know the parish, databases are the way to go.

The name Hamill or Hamel is more commonly found in North Tipperary thought I cannot find a marriage between a Cantwell and a Hamel, it is possible of course that they were from a parish which records starts to late to identify a marriage.

I would still go with the search of the TFHR if they were catholic, that way you would be as near certain you have searched all available records.

Good Luck

Cecile Mulcahy
Researcher

Offline Judithc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 01:32 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother (Susannah Wright) born abt 1880 was born in Port Fairy Vic, aus. and on her marriage certificate in W.A her parents are mary Cantwell and William Eden Wright.  Are these connected with your mary Cantwell?

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 December 12 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I would like to learn where they were born and who their parents were. Any ideas about where to find that information?