Author Topic: John McCABE born 1804 Carlow  (Read 12744 times)

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McCABE born 1804 Carlow
« on: Wednesday 30 November 11 03:56 GMT (UK) »

Does anyone have info on McCABE family possibly from OLoughlin County Carlow father James mother Mary

Late 1700s early 1800s

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John McCABE born 1804 Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 10:08 GMT (UK) »
To search for such early records, you would need to know the denomination of your McCabe family and also where in Co. Carlow they loved - i.e. which parish, town or townland. Few rural parishes have records back this far..

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 10:23 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Shane I dont have any more info at this stage but will try to find out more

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 10:30 GMT (UK) »
'..possibly from OLoughlin..'

Do you have this detail on some sort of document for your McCabes ?

If you posted an image of a section of it, then maybe someone could help decipher it for you..

I dont know of anywhere in Co. Carlow named OLoughlin - but it could possibly be a misreading of Leighlin Bridge.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 10:45 GMT (UK) »

Shane

All I have is John McCabe born in 1804 possibly in OLoughlin County Carlow died Sydney NSW lived in

Kilkenny married Ellen/ Helena/Hilda Butler she died in Belfast 1853 3 different names for her on doc

uments but called Ellen to my knowledge know he lived in Castlecomer mined coal may have spent time in

Scotland was a stonemason by trade migrated to Australia in 1860 withhis son my grt grandfather

Thomas Charles McCabe & other children

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 19:10 GMT (UK) »
OLoughlin could be Old Leighlin which is close to Leighlinbridge and I think it's this RC parish. If the family is RC, Leighlinbridge's records start in the 1780s but there is a gap around the dates you are looking for. Carlow Library has typed copies of a lot of baptism and marriage records for parishes in Co. Carlow. They do lookups. You might not have any luck for the c 1804 baptism but maybe worth a go for family members.

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Sonas ,

I will try this but I dont trust info I have been  given it has too many discrepancies.

Chinka

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 December 11 23:55 GMT (UK) »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help asked family members for info not much available.I found Griffiths Valuation Records

was able to find John McCabe living in Caslecomer 1849 to 1850 as a landlord and a tenant at 2 addresses

so am really happy at least I know some info correct.

Chinka

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 December 11 23:51 GMT (UK) »

Sonas ,

Found a lot of McCabes in Old Leighlin in Griffiths in 1852 the names match my family.So I think you are right

about O Loughlin being Old Leighlin.I contacted family in Australia.There are a few Loughlins used as a first 

and second name in our family tree.I also found that John McCabes children were born in St Johns Kilkenny.

My gg grandfather Thomas had Castlecomer on his death cert. Does this mean the Parish of St Johns. I

found a site for St Johns Kilkenny they had a centenary logo had O Loughlin on the logo.My family are catholics

my fathers cousin was Thomas McCabe bishop of Wollongong Aust. 4 of his sisters joined the church.They

are still family in the church today. Do you think St Johns may have records between 1827 to 1848 the years

the McCabes were born .I cant find a trace on Ellen their mother.She was a Butler but trying. So