Author Topic: ROSE Family from St Albans  (Read 10538 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: ROSE Family from St Albans
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 December 11 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The posting was removed because I didn't like the way my query was worded.
To me, it had come across in a way that I did not mean,
and I did not want to risk misunderstanding.
(I did not have the time to re-word)

I know we have gone way away from your original query which was about St Albans.
It may be worth contacting the authors of the little write-up previously posted,
(for convenience repeated http://www.rootschat.com/links/0hxd/ )
they have obviously summarised the "article" from other sources, so ...............

There are/were a handful of churches in that little stretch/area around Hatfield Road.
The one we have been talking about (and discounted?)
The one now in the centre of the cemetery.
The one in Stanhope Road
The one on the corner of Blandford Road
The one just across the railway in Beaconsfield Road
Plus my present favourite (for your query) in Upper Dagnall Street
They may all be wrong.

Back to Alfred J?
Any idea why he would have been in Surrey when he died?
Is there specific family knowledge of him in Surrey?

Similar query regarding Lillian and Finchley.

Cheers
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 December 11 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray,

I wasn't sure if it was you who had removed that post, or if it had been 'moderated'. I just wanted to make some comment to show that I was still here and interested!

Alfred and Lillian had moved into what would now be termed 'Greater London' by the time of the 1911 census. They lived in Edmonton and then Whetstone (which is where I was born!) and that must be in the Finchley registration district, as that is where Lillian died in 1953. My parents, newly married at the time, went to live in Whetstone with Alfred. After a few years he went to live with my grandparents (my grandmother being his daughter) which is why he died in Sanderstead, Surrey. We had moved to Croydon by then, and so I grew up there.

I did get a death certificate for a Jane Rose from Edmonton as I wondered if the older generation of Roses (Jane and Charles) had gone to live with their son - but it wasn't the right person.

I hadn't realised that 'Rose' was such a common name, and there are quite a  few deaths which could match this couple. I guess that the only way to be sure is to order more certificates.

I see that you have commented on the Rose surname being transcribed as 'Bose' in 1871; thanks for doing that.

Thanks for your help with this.

Alan
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 December 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

No I was the moderator. Some of my posts occasionally come across as a bit = "terse" is the polite word = "blunt" is the not so.    :)

Charles and Jane Rose, as you say, are a nightmare because of the multitude.
One suggestion? Try a googlemapmarker approach and mark ALL members of your known family on the map. A different colour for each generation and include all cousins etc.. Then apply that to (say) Freebmd search output, see if that narrows it down or throws up other possibilities.

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 December 11 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to pick up the gist of this thread this afternoon and have struggled a tad. I hope that what follows helps rather than hinders.

Elizabeth J Gardener's history of the Marlborough Road Wesleyan Methodist church in St Albans has several references to Rose who were brushmakers.

eg. pg 26 where William Rose of Grosvenor Rd and George Rose of Ridgmont Rd were both trustees of the church when it opened on its new site in 1898. They were both brushmakers.  I had a quick look at the 1901 census and both appear to have been born in Chesham. Their father, Henry, is also referred to on pg 25, Circuit Steward, 1879-94.

There are several other references to Rose in the text together with a group picture of chuch stewards inc. 'Mr W Rose' abt 1900 (pg 31).

At Herts Archives & Local Studies (HALS) there's a good archive for the St Albans WM Circuit including a register of members for 1900-21 for the Marlborough Rd church. See the following for more detail:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=046-nm5&cid=0#0

By the way, if of interest, there's a good section about the Roses' brush factory in St Albans in a booklet called "Made in St Albans" by MG Fookes (copies in St Albans library).

Jon

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 December 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks VERY much.

I will certainly follow up those suggestions. There are clearly several Rose families around at that time in St Albans and, especially as they originate from Chesham, there logically should be some connection(s).

I'm very grateful to all those who have posted such helpful and informative replies - many thanks.

(That doesn't mean that I wouldn't welcome any more, of course!)
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 December 11 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jon,
Could I be a pain and just clarify the precise title of the book by Elizabeth Gardener, please? I'll try and get a copy through the inter-library loan scheme - can't really think of any other way to get hold of a copy!
Thanks,
Alan

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 December 11 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Alan

The following Herts Libraries site has the details...

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0i35/

Jon

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 22:14 GMT (UK) »
It seems that, judging by the name of the officiating minister, that this marriage took place at Marlborough Road Methodist Chapel in St Albans.

Thanks to all those who have helped with this.