Author Topic: Shipping lookups  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Yettigirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Shipping lookups
« on: Tuesday 10 May 05 02:21 BST (UK) »
Can anyone look up shipping records for me please.
James Lindsay born 1842 in Lochmaben, Dumfries immigrated to New Zealand.  He married in Dunedin, New Zealand in 1865 so would have come out early 1860's I would think.    I would like to know the year and what ship he came on please.  Maybe he went to Australia first. 

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping lookups
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 10:04 BST (UK) »
I checked ‘Victoria AUS to NZ Passenger Records’ from 1852 to 1865 inclusive and while I found several James or Jas LINDSAY’s, none were the right age.

Many Scots travelled to Otago and settled in the area. I checked ‘The Otago Nominal Index to 1876’ http://marvin.otago.ac.nz/oni/default.html which lists several James LINDSAY’s over the years, at Riverton, Dunedin, and Port Chalmers.

Do you have James’s death certificate? This should tell you where and when he died, and should say how long he had lived in NZ. This information should allow you to make an educated guess about his year of arrival and the likely port. If you already have the certificate, let me know the details so I narrow the search a bit.

I can have a look for likely deaths if you wish.
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Yettigirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, James died in Dunedin, NZ in 1881.  He married in Dunedin as well in 1865.  Unfortunately I don't have his death certificate.  His parents were William McKnight and Agnes Lindsay.  He had a brother John b1837 and sisters Catherine b1839 and Grace Ewart b1836.  I think James would have come to Port Chalmers as he settled in Dunedin.  Maybe some of his family came out with him.  Sorry I don't have anymore details.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 May 05 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Yettigirl,

Archives NZ Reference: BDM 20/10 Dunedin 1865 p.417/115
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
Notice dated 10 April: James LINDSAY, bachelor, a miner aged 22 years, to marry Elizabeth GIBB, a spinster aged 16 years, in Knox Church Dunedin. Both were living at Dunedin and the length of residence for both was 3 days. Robert GIBB, father, gave permission for his daughter, a minor, to marry. Rev. D.M. STUART.

Many ITM notices I’ve seen provide a ‘length of residence’ for one or both parties of 3 days. I believe that this just meant that they had travelled from their homes to marry.

I checked ‘Lists of Immigrants Debtors to the Provincial Government of Otago for Passage Moneys 1869’ from 1848-1865, but could not find any LINDSAY as a passenger. This could just mean that he did arrive at Otago, but had already paid any passage money he owed. However, I did stumble across a Robert GIBB that could be Elizabeth’s father (see the ITM above) arriving with his family on the ‘Pladda’ from Glasgow on 20 August 1860. You might want to check its passenger list on-line at New Zealand Bound. The death of one son during the voyage is also recorded:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nzbound/pladda.htm

I checked Wises NZ Directory 1866-67. There were four Lindsay’s in Dunedin, but no James.

Wises NZ Directory 1872-73. fiche 3 p.292
LINDSAY James, George st. (no occupation listed)

Wises NZ Directory 1875-76. fiche 2 p.9
Lindsay Jas (usually a contraction of ‘James’), traveler, Castle st
Lindsay Jas, teacher, Cargill st.

I happened across a compilation collection called ‘BDM’s for the Dunstan Times 1866-1900’. The names may mean something to you.
p.38 27 May 1898: LINDSAY-WELSFORD: On Wednesday 18th May, at St Michaels Church, Clyde. By the Rev W H Browne, Robert, second son of the late James LINDSAY to Laura, youngest daughter of Samuel Welsford, Clyde. Report of the wedding 20 May 1898 page 5.

Requesting a search from Otago Settlers Museum is worth your consideration. Although you pay for the service, it is very thorough and saves time and effort.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking.

Riley
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline Yettigirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 May 05 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Riley
Thanks very much for what you have found so far.  It is great.  Can you tell me
in the NZ Reference BDM Dunedin can you get into the 1876.  I also have another family I'm trying to trace and having terrible trouble.  Robert Francis Willard Driver b. 1855 approx married Annie Paris in Dunedin on 29 April 1876.  I don't know what Roberts parents or siblings were if he had any and can't find anything much on him prior to him immigrating here.   I think they both came from England and on the Dover Castle in 1873.  If you can find anything on them that would be great or suggest where else I might look. 
Thanks Eileen

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 05 04:10 BST (UK) »
If you look at my earlier post; Some Resources for Genealogists researching NZ relatives  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,55294.0.html
for some places to check.
I'll check the ITM for Dunedin 1876 this week for you.

Riley
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Yettigirl,

Here you go;

Intention to Marry Notice. Archives Ref: BDM 20/21 Dunedin 1876 p.805/124
Notice dated 11 April: Robert Francis Hilliot DRIVER, bachelor, a clerk aged 21 years to marry Ann PARIS, a spinster aged 17 years, in St Peters Church, Caversham Dunedin. His dwelling place was Dunedin, length of residence 2 years; her dwelling place was Caversham, length of residence 2 months. William Paris, father, gave permission for his daughter, a minor, to marry. Rev. C.J. MARTIN.

Riley

HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline Yettigirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info, has helped a bit more in the puzzle of Robert.
Eileen

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 November 08 21:00 GMT (UK) »

In the interests of good housekeeping, I’ve moved this post to completed.

Assistance has been provided …….