Author Topic: abraham mccabe born abt 1814/16. hetton or east murton  (Read 4263 times)

Offline tony bond

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
abraham mccabe born abt 1814/16. hetton or east murton
« on: Thursday 01 December 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
hi thier i wonder if anyone out thier as a cd for durham area bmds  ive just sent of to gro for a birth cert for elizabeth mccabe born 28/sept/1843 at easington lane she married my ancester abraham bond at staveley chesterfield in 1860. anyway elizabeths parents were abraham mccabe born abt 1814/16 hetton or east murton. he married  mary bowlby/boulby born abt 1810/12. i think they married around 1836/7 because thier 1st child was born in durham  in 1838 her name his harriett mccabe. going back to  mary bowlby born abt 1810/12 her maiden name was mary bowlby then she must have been married before as her surname changed to marsden. and finally to mccabe in the different cencuses. she says she his born at different places. 1841 cencus lived at rougham st monkwearmouth durham . abraham mccabe age 27 abt 1814 born durham.  mary mccabe wife age 29 abt 1812 born durham  1851 cencus  lived at easington lane hetton le hole durham . abraham mccabe head age 36 abt 1815 born hetton. mary ann mccabe wife age 26 born abt 1825. born bishop wearmouth durham.  1861 cencus  easington lane durham .  abraham mccabe head age 47 abt 1814 born murton durham. mary ann mccabe wife age 35 abt 1826 born silksworth durham. wonder if antone can actaully find where they were both born  and if you can find any marriage dates for mary bowlby 1st to somebody called marsden. and then her 2nd marriage to abraham mccabe thanks for your help tony bond

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
Re: abraham mccabe born abt 1814/16. hetton or east murton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 11 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Try checking out this website for Durham info.

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/index.php

What you can't get here it should have a link to another site that will.

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 11 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Here is one baptism at Hetton le Hole:

Hannah Caroline McAbe baptised 31 Jan 1838 d/o Abraham and Mary Roseby?

The marriage was in Houghton le Spring 29 Jan 1837 Abraham McAbe and Mary Bowlby Marsden

There is a baptism in Bishopwearmouth for a Mary Elizabeth Marsden 8 Apr 1832 daur of Mary Bowlby Marsden, no father listed
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 11 06:06 GMT (UK) »
I thought that McCabe would be a rare name in County Durham but Durham Records Online has 12 pages of them. I could not however find a baptism of Elizabeth McCabe on Durham Records Online or family search.org  so the Birth Certificate is a good investment. However family search.org has the marriage of Abraham McCabe/Mary Bowlby Maridon (sic) 29 JAN 1837, Houghton-le-Spring, County Durham.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 December 11 07:34 GMT (UK) »
A family tree on Ancestry has Abraham as the son of Edward McCabe and Hannah Williamson. Baptized Bishopwearmouth, 8 April 1814.
I don't think Bishopwearmouth baptisms after 1812 are available to view online so maybe some kind person could look it up to confirm.

If it is the right one, then Edward McCabe, Bachelor of Houghton le Spring. married Hannah Williamson, Spinster of Dalton le Dale, at Dalton le Dale, 2 Dec 1805.

First childs baptism, at Dalton le Dale.
01 Jan 1807 Mary Ann McCabe, born 27 Aug 1806, 1st daughter of Edward McCabe, Native of Step-aside, Dublin, Ireland, and Hannah, daughter of William Williamson, Native of Willistone in Bishop Auckland.

Several other children baptized in Dalton le Dale and Houghton le Spring.

Last one looks to be Harriet, baptized 3 Dec 1826, at Houghton le Spring, daughter of Edward and Hannah McCape of Hetton (father - Labourer).

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 December 11 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I have an index of Bishopwearmouth C of E baptisms 1813-1839 and no Abraham McCabe unless they missed it off.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 December 11 17:55 GMT (UK) »
It was at Dalton le Dale. Looks like the correct parents though.

8 May 1814. Abraham, son of Edward and Hannah McCabe.

The marriage at Houghton le Spring, 29 Jan 1837, Abraham McCabe of Bishopwearmouth, and Mary Bowlby Marsden, of this Parish. Witnesses Jno Ebdy and Thomas Richardson. Married by License.

Marrriage License was 25th Jan. Groom a Bachelor of Bishopwearmouth, Bride a Spinster of Houghton le Spring. Both age 21 years and upwards. No witnesses listed.

Alan.

Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 December 11 18:27 GMT (UK) »
How about this one for Mary. A little bit older than on the 1841 census.

Durham St. Mary South Bailey. Born 15 Jul 1805, baptized 4 August 1805.
Mary, 5th daughter, 6th child of Peter Bowlby Marsden and his wife Elizabeth.

An earlier sibling of this Mary is down as Arabella, daughter of the Revd Peter Bowlby Marsden, Proctor and Public Notary, and his wife Elizabeth Hull.

A marriage at Durham South Bailey, St. Mary the Less.

29 Dec 1789. Peter Bowlby Marsden and Elizabeth Hull.

I think the younger Mary Ann McCabe in 1851 census onwards is probably Abrahams second wife Mary Ann Gilmour.

Sunderland Registrars site has a marriage of Abraham McCabe and Mary Ann Gilmore 1847. He's Abraham McAbe on FreeBMD. Houghton le Spring Mar 1847. Marriage cert would confirm his father.

Alan.

Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline byker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

I have done a little research on Abraham McCabe as two of his daughters Emily Arrabella McCabe and Margaret Jane Kosseth McCabe married brothers Edward Smith an William Smith the sons of John Smith a Tinner. John Smith's daughter Frances Smith married Henry Stewart the son of my 3 x great grandparents Isaac Stewart and Jane Francis.
I have Abraham McCabe married to Mary Bowlby Marsden, daughter of Peter Bowlby Marsden and Elizabeth Hull. Gentleman's Magazine, January to June 1827 Died Durham 12 May 1827Peter Bowlby Marsden esq, senior proctor of the Diocese

Peter's abode in burial register was Rectory House in this Parish. He was Reverend and Proctor and Notary

Marriage Licence 25th January 1837
Abraham McCabe a Groom a Bachelor of Bishopwearmouth
Mary Bowlby Marsden a Spinster of Houghton le Spring
Both age 21 years and upwards

They married on the 29th January 1837 at St Michael's, Houghton le Spring, Co. Durham

Mary died 1841 to 1847 and Abraham then married in 1847 to Mary Ann Gilmour, b. abt 1824, Co. Durham.
Abraham and first wife had children Harriett/Hannah Caroline b. 1838, Emily Arrabella b. abt 1840, Abraham Marsden b. abt 1841, Elizabeth b. 1843
Abraham and second wife had children William Fergus Roberts b. abt 1848, Frederick Julian Thomas Edward Mitchell b. 1849, Margaret Jane Kosseth b. 1851, Mary Ann b. abt 1853, Hannah b. abt 1854, Lorena b. abt 1856, Catherine b. abt 1858, Agnes b. abt 1864, Clara b. abt 1866

Abraham McCabe was born in 1814, the son of Edward McCabe Native of Step-aside, Dublin, Ireland  and Hannah Williamson, (her father was called William Williamson) Native of Willistone in Bishop Auckland, Co. Durham (info on Edward and Hannah from baptism of daughter Mary Ann in 1807)

I hope you find this helps

Bye - Suffolk, Durham, Northumberland
Currie - Cumberland & Northumberland
Stewart - Durham (Isaac Stewart)
Francis - Ireland & Durham
Falla - Northumberland (Selby Falla)
Smith - Aberdeenshire (Erskine Smith)
Gardner - Ireland (Singleton Gardner)