Author Topic: Location on Census - Orphanage  (Read 2247 times)

Offline anitah1972

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Location on Census - Orphanage
« on: Tuesday 29 November 11 16:06 GMT (UK) »
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/QuickMatch11.jsp?id=31562

1901 Census of Canada Page Information
District:   ON YORK (West/Ouest) (#131)
Subdistrict:     Toronto (City/Cité) Ward/Quartier No. 6 G-27 Page 6
Image:    . at National Archives Web Site
Details:   Schedule 1 Microfilm T-6508

Can anyone help me identify which Home this is?  I suspect, given that there's a Mother Bernard (two pages previous) that this might be the Sacred Heart Orphanage ... but I can't find definite confirmation.... help? 

Thanks a bunch!
Anita
LEWNES/LIOUNIS from Greece, settled in Brooklyn, Kings, NYC, USA
ZBORAZ/SBORAI/SPORAY from Austria/Hungary/Czechoslovakia, settled in Pennsylvania, USA
GRAY from Galasheils/Hawick, Scotland
BAIN, SETH, GARDNER, DOUGLAS from Falkirk/Bo'ness/Linlithgow/Dumbarton, Scotland
MCGREGOR/MCGRIGOR/JARVIS from Scotland

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphanages / children's institutions / found on Canada Census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
You have posted on a resource board. A moderator will move you to the main board for queries...
Your answer was in the link for sister Bernard...Thanks for the link, though, I will post it above ( although I will make sure it is a direct link to the page)

"In 1887 Sister Bernard began her great apostolic work at the Sacred Heart Orphanage at Sunnyside, on the lakeshore of Toronto’s west end"

If there is a certain person for whom you are looking, then please post is within the thread after it has been moved.  all the best,  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline anitah1972

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location on Census - Orphanage
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 11 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the move; sorry for any inconvenience.

Yep, what you quoted is exactly why I speculated about it being Sacred Heart... but I can't find any confirmation.  Was hoping maybe there was another year that noted the same names with an institution name. 

Relevant entries are for Harry/Henry and Russell Hammond. 
LEWNES/LIOUNIS from Greece, settled in Brooklyn, Kings, NYC, USA
ZBORAZ/SBORAI/SPORAY from Austria/Hungary/Czechoslovakia, settled in Pennsylvania, USA
GRAY from Galasheils/Hawick, Scotland
BAIN, SETH, GARDNER, DOUGLAS from Falkirk/Bo'ness/Linlithgow/Dumbarton, Scotland
MCGREGOR/MCGRIGOR/JARVIS from Scotland

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 11 19:16 GMT (UK) »
You should find what you seek if you read through the following (or you may have seen it already (?); I think the quote above w/b from it). It came up as a 'link' to Mother Bernard on automatedgenealogy.com and does indicate Mother Bernard would have been at this orphanage in 1901 and that she died there in 1901.

I suspect this is the closest you may get to confirmation. None of the 1901 census links lead to anyone still at the orphanage ... there are no links to any of the nuns, in fact, and the children there in 1901 would most likely have been too old to still be there in 1911. I didn't track individual children from one census to the next, only the ones with links. I will leave the others up to you  :)

http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=40800&query=

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
There are two schedules for the 1901 census.
"schedule 1" is the population census
but
"schedule 2" is a listing of "buildings and lands, churches and schools" and provides addresses.

In this case by using the search:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1901/001013-100.01-e.php
we can give the info from automated genealogy:
district number: 131
subdistrict: g 27

There is only one page for schedule 2, and the last entry on the line shows "page 4, line 4" (e.g. where Mother Bernard is shown) to be "Sacred Heart Orphanage", an institution of 70 rooms and 277 inmates (not counting officers, employees, etc), on 9 1/2 acres.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The Orphanage became St. Josephs Hospital in 1921.

http://www.stjoe.on.ca/about/heritage.php

The current hospital is still at that site on Sunnyside Avenue.   It is just east of High Park and north of the Gardiner Expressway (and Lake Ontario).   

RK