Author Topic: Dawley Parish Church -- Which one?!  (Read 1251 times)

Offline RMR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dawley Parish Church -- Which one?!
« on: Thursday 01 December 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I have a general question I'm hoping will be easy to answer.

My GGG Grandfather (John Fletcher Reeves) and his siblings were baptised in Dawley Parish between 1827 and 1837.  After studying the history of Parish churches in the area, I know there were:  the Old Church (from middle ages to 1844), St. Leonard's (built 1805 as an easement to the old church), and Holy Trinity (opened 1845 near the site of the Old Church).

My question is, if the parish birth records say "baptisms in the Parish of Dawley", does that refer to the Old Church, or to St. Leonard's?  The Reeves lived in Balls Hill and Lawley during that time, so St. Leonard's was certainly closer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt Reeves

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
Re: Dawley Parish Church -- Which one?!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think I'm right in saying St Leonards is classed as Malinslee parish church, Dawley parish church (Holy Trinty) has always been the main church so I would use this as a starting point.  Having said that there was a church in the high street until the mid to late seventies but I can't remember what that was called. 

Reeves isn't a common name in Dawley, was your family originally from here?
Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).